What work are you doing with your XH-A1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 18th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Specialty training and informational videos. Love HD. Previously had a Sony PD 150.

Last edited by Denise Wall; August 18th, 2008 at 08:06 PM.
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
...I learned the camera by shooting all over the White Mountains last winter so I guess I shoot nature too.
Lucky.

I visited the White Mountains in early June this year trying to film the Bristlecone Pines in the Schulman Grove. I did manage to get some interesting film using my HV30, but it started to snow...and snow...and snow! I think it dumped about 6-inches of snow in an hour - all above 9,000 feet. It was certainly beautiful, but I hadn't really planned on handling that much snow. So...I missed my opportunity and will have to try again next year.
Lee Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Kay View Post
For business I do mainly 'adult' films for the internet. I won't post a link ;0)
[/url]
Your kidding. ?
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #19
Major Player

I just started my own poduction in suburb chicago.
pretty much anything from wedding, events, coporate (have not done any on my own yet), education, and non-profit.
I am thinking about getting H1a later when I make more money, but loving my A1 except no focus/zoom at the same time function.
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #20
Major Player

Mostly a medical show for cable TV....but also some sports work, and stuff for my church.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
I shoot motor races and support pieces around the races. Also do some local commercials and the odd wedding when my arm is twisted hard enough.

I learned the camera by shooting all over the White Mountains last winter so I guess I shoot nature too.
Hey Tripp, we should get together. Take a look at where I'm from.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I have done a fashion show, two weddings, two art studios documentations, a small documentary on a clothing company in Bali and a lot of random things that I see that capture my eye and seem to have some hidden relevance. I'd like to do film some day. Here is a link: YouTube - celestina646's Channel
I intend to work with this camera on the standards: Weddings, corporate, performances and whatever pays. The equipment needs to pay for itself and someday pay for my living.
Erick Munari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #23
New Boot

Currently shooting a fun HDV1080P24 project on the behavior of wild birds I feed and let bathe on my porch. Shoots weddings, funerals and soon documentaries.

Last edited by Ernest Sams; August 19th, 2008 at 11:09 AM.
Ernest Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #24
Major Player

I shoot steam trains, mainly for my own amusement. I make DVDs and sell them in aid of the railway preservation societies that I belong to. I shoot, edit (using Avid Liquid) and archive back to camera tapes in HDV 50i. I down-convert to SD MPEG for the DVDs using AL at the very end of the process. I've also posted a view clips on YouTube.

I always work outdoors, by myself, using available light. Each shot has to work on the first take. Rehearsals and retakes are impossible. Pans and/or zooms are normal. Audio is normally a Rode NTG-1 short shotgun mounted on camera.

Having moved up from an XL1, I find the XH-A1 quite easy to use, though it's rather bigger and heavier. I've tried using manual modes but have found that auto is usually perfectly reliable, so unless there's a particular problem to overcome, I leave the camera to worry about exposure and focus while I concentrate on following the action.
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Shaw View Post
Shooting underwater, selling stock, making DVD's...
Does anyone else sell stock. Is it profitable? I have ran across sites that you can sell stock on, but wasn't sure if it was worth the time. Considering starting a new thread to discuss best sites to sell your stock on..
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #26
Major Player

Yes, I sell stock, but don't expect to make a fortune. Treat it as a sideline - at present I don't have time to work on bigger projects.
Old August 19th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #27
Major Player

I am the same as Annie, definitely a sideline. But I use a site that allows me to still use the footage for other projects, it just generates some money from footage that just sits on my hard drive. But you are correct that it takes time to upload and mess about.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Small View Post
Lucky.

I visited the White Mountains in early June this year trying to film the Bristlecone Pines in the Schulman Grove. I did manage to get some interesting film using my HV30, but it started to snow...and snow...and snow! I think it dumped about 6-inches of snow in an hour - all above 9,000 feet. It was certainly beautiful, but I hadn't really planned on handling that much snow. So...I missed my opportunity and will have to try again next year.
It was a record winter for snow and a record summer for rain. Hopefully next time you're here there won't be so much moisture falling.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I've just finished shooting footage for my first documentary short. I am getting into adventure filmmaking. Anyone joining me in Peru at adventure film school?
David Thanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM   #30
New Boot

I shoot "subject matter experts" who wish to sell their own instructional DVD's. The last one I made was entitled "Sculpting A Bust". This artist took a block of clay and demonstrated how to create a human head and upper torso, all in 55 min... She will sell them for $35.00 each. I'm trying this business model: I shoot/edit create DVD - no cost. Client pays direct cost of any background music, etc. and then actual cost of production of copies. Then split profit 50/50 for pre-determined quantity of sales. Of course this model only works, if the item will sell!
Brian Seguin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders