Thing I've noticed with frame rates... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #1
Major Player

Thing I've noticed with frame rates...

The following probably has no scientific or technical backing, but I have found that the quality of the images produced by the XHA1 in 24f mode is much better than when the cam is in 60i mode. The real test for me is when I compare the two after being exported as a MOV: the 24fps video looks much sharper and less "artifacted". Anyone else have this experience?
-Steve
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Trustee

No... but it makes sense. You're recording the equivalent of both fields simultaneously, effectively doubling the simultaneous resolution.

You don't actually double the resolution of the video, but every 1/24th of a second you get both fields as opposed to one field every 1/60th. This may be as clear as mud as the description lends itself to visual aids, of which I have none.

I don't know this for certain, but since the data rate for DV/HDV is fixed, a frame of video at 1/24th of a second should contain more video than a full frame (both fields) of 1/30th. This contention gets quite muddy when you consider that Canon's 24f is not true 24p and wraps the 24 frames each second in a 30fps envelope. My brain hurts just trying to work it out.

Net result is if you like the way it looks and think the quality is better... run with it.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm guessing you are simply noticing interlace artifacts in the interlaced video?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Major Player

I think that you will actually find that when in Frame mode the resolution decreases by about 20%.
I agree with Robert you are probably noticing the interlaced artifacts
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Contributor

That's why I shoot 24 fps. While the resolution drops just a little over 60i, there are no interlace artifacts when exporting, so the end result is that it looks better.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
I'm guessing you are simply noticing interlace artifacts in the interlaced video?
No, I deinterlace religiously.... it is mainly blotchiness and banding that i get with the 60i footage, which I don't get nearly as much with 24f.
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Deinterlacing will result in lower effective resolution and/or artifacts (depends on how you do it). Frame modes on the A1 work very well for producing progressive images (better than deinterlacing interlaced footage from the A1 to get progressive images).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:37 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lewis View Post
No, I deinterlace religiously.... it is mainly blotchiness and banding that i get with the 60i footage, which I don't get nearly as much with 24f.
That's certainly plausible. Progressive frames are easier for the encoder to process *plus* you've got more bits per frame in 24F.
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
Deinterlacing will result in lower effective resolution and/or artifacts (depends on how you do it).
Thanks Robert, that's good to know! What is the preferred way to deinterlacing footage? During export or in the timeline?
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM   #10
Inner Circle

You might want to give this a read:

What is deinterlacing? The best method to deinterlace movies
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders