Timecode display at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Timecode display

My timecode display shows the time of each clip. Is there a setting that if I shoot 2.5 minutes will show 2.5 then when I shoot 1 minute more will show 3.5, another minute 4.5? Or does it always reset upon new clip?
Roy Feldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Tourist

There is an option in the menu to select continuous timecode. I don't have the camera in front of me, but it is pretty easy to find.
Adrian Bordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Contributor

Continuous time code is the default, I think. I didn't know you could change it to reset on each clip. That's strange, and would be an editing nightmare.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yeah it would Bill. Seems the default is [REC-RUN] continuous t/c only when recording.

Roy, there's 3 t/c options altogether, the others are on P39.

[REC-RUN PS] t/c starts from a preset value....so power up, go into the menu, set a t/c value and when you press record, t/c runs till you stop recording. Looks like if you don't set a value it defaults to zero. IMO that's what your A1 is presently set at.

Anyone see a perceived use for that one with the A1?

[FREE-RUN] t/c runs *regardless of the operation* of the A1....now would that be from power up to power down? Or does it run regardless, till it hits 24:00:00:00 then starts again?

Maybe it also defaults to zero if you turned the power off during a shoot. Anyone see a use for that one?

P39 says "External t/c will be displayed in blue" ...? Isn't that only for the G1?

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; August 22nd, 2008 at 06:35 PM.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 11:07 AM   #5
Contributor

True, if you don't set a value it starts at zero, but mine starts over at zero any time I put a new tape in, not for every clip. I can start at zero or set it for tape 1, 2, whatever. But I often just let it start at zero. I still don't see how it would reset for every clip.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Free Run is supposed to start counting from the time you set it to Free Run until the end of time regardless if the camera is powered on or not or even if the battery is in the camera (at least according to the VAAST DVD). This mode should eliminate any time code errors encountered through the duplication of time codes when the tape is changed and the time code reset on a large project.
David Thanh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders