Wedding highlight - my 1st one as the production at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 24th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Wedding highlight - my 1st one as the production

Hello, everyone!
I just finished the 1st wedding highlight as a production company (have done about 4-5 wedding shoot/edit as freelance) and I really would like to know how I have done.
Many people said so far they like it, it looks good, and so on.
However, I would love to get some critics from the forum where I trust the most!
I bought Canon XH-A1 based on reviews and numerous threads here and there at different camera forums, and I learned so much from this website that I like it very much.
Everyone is great with each other (almost no a**hol* or mean people), and I feel like everyone is very sincere and respectful to one another (and his/her works).
So please, give me your 2cents and help me improve my skill, so I can be successful in this field like others!
Thank you so much ahead.
Here is the link.
Wedding Highlight No.1 on Vimeo
Shot in 24F. Song chosen by the couple. Magic Bullet used on most shots.

Note from my wife: she did not like 1:11 shot with bridal party and the couple because I shook too much... she told me maybe I should slowdown with less shaking shot. Thoughts?

-JJ-
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I thought the video was lovely, the way you mixed the panning of the shots, the out of focus scenes into focus really gave a depth too the video footage, made me want to watch the whole clip which is in my opinion the whole idea of a movie, lets face it, if no one wants to watch the whole movie it isnt worth making !!!

I love it.
Jayson Corcoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Major Player

I think you did a good job with the ending, having the 'canned' music transition to the actual first-dance song. That was a nice touch.
But I do have some suggestions for the beginning of the clip. There was a bit too much of the 'touchy zoom', where it looks more like a camera correction than a conscious decision. In general, with a moody song such as this, its better to avoid zooming shoots entirely (breaks from the mood). Also, you tend to dissolve right when the camera is zooming or otherwise jittery. That draws attention to the camera move, and takes you out of the moment.

Your shooting could improve from a monopod, there was a bit too much shaking going on. During the processional, you could see the camera bobbing as the groom was entering (1:55). The effect was like a Godzilla movie where the creature 'shakes' the screen.

Remember to be ruthless in your editing. The highlights should be the BEST shots only, if you have 'filler' shots in there, try editing down the audio (or finding a better shot).

Hope this review doesn't put me in the category of 'a**hole', I'm being honest, blunt, and critical.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Jayson: thank you very much for your compliment!

Oren: No, it does not put you in A**h*** category. I really appreciate your critics. I told you in the beginning that I wanted honest and blunt comments from people, and you gave me that. I use CB105 as should support and still having hard with some situation to hold the camera steady. I might try out monopod once I have bugdet to buy one. My purpose of fast zooming was to create excitement. The couple was fun and outgoing, so I thought fast zooming was gonna work out with semi-uptempo song, then I figured out they wanted slow mellow song for thier highlight.. I think it would be a good idea to get the song beforehand... they were my ex-boss' cousin, so didn't have proper/formal meeting with them beforehand. I think for the most wedding, I am planning to stop doing fast zooming...
I should I had 2 cam, one on tripod and one moving (both manned) but that didn't happen. They wanted something cheap so I was the only camera op there.
Thank you very much for your critic, though. I will improve my shooting and editing.

JJ
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I don't mind the fast zooms as long as they are used with a matching song.

That's why I don't like my clients to choose the music for the clips.

I ask them for a list of songs they like but I tell them that if they don't match the clip's pace they are not going to be used.

Music has to be in the same pace as the shots and in your case a slightly faster song would be a better match for your clip.

On the other hand you may be able to make it work if you use some slow motion (or some more slow motion) when you zoom and at the shaky footage.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #6
Major Player

Spiros: Thank you. I am thinking adding more slow-mo now I have Twixtor. I just bought it like an hour ago and this helps alot to smooth out the slowmo. I really have to practice my shots with CB150... urgh... I never used monopod before.. kinda scared to try out...
I totally agree with you about the music, though. Maybe I will find somewhat faster pace music from their list.
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders