Testing A1 vs Sony at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 24th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Major Player

Testing A1 vs Sony

Hi guys

I am testing between the canon xh-a1 and sony z1 and at the present time it seems the z1 is pulling of a sharper and richer pic but the feel of the A1 is much better
the picture on the a1 seems to be dull and flat but z1's colours are much richer and better details come up
i have just tested outside on a nice sunny day

is there anything i can adjust in the settings to give me that richer look because it looks alittle dissapointing

help

Rob.
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
the picture on the a1 seems to be dull and flat
It's designed that way on purpose; out of the box it's a flat baseline foundation upon which you build your preferred look, using Custom Presets. Make it as rich and saturated as you want it to be.

See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...rary-copy.html for more details.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
It's designed that way on purpose; out of the box it's a flat baseline foundation upon which you build your preferred look, using Custom Presets. Make it as rich and saturated as you want it to be.

See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...rary-copy.html for more details.
this is great

thanks Chris
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
this is great

thanks Chris
Plus, if you don't want to use the camera preset libraries, you get a nice flat image that you can work with in post color correction.
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #5
Contributor

The Sony is pretty much the same way out of the box, so somebody has tweaked it up. I was ready to buy the Z1 but the XH A1 was announced and I waited a month to compare the two. I got the XH A1 because of the lens mainly, and because of 24P capability secondarily. I think the Z1 is better balanced and easier to hold for long periods, and I believe you can run one mic with line in and a second one as mic in, where on the Canon it's either/or. Other than that, the cameras are about equal, with the Canon having a little edge in image quality, lens and frame rates.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
Plus, if you don't want to use the camera preset libraries, you get a nice flat image that you can work with in post color correction.
True, but wouldn't it make the most sense to have the camera get the image as close as possible to what you want before it's sent through HDV compression w/ 4:2:0, 8 bit color?
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders