AZDEN 200UPR Wireless Mic Setup with Canon XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 31st, 2008, 02:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AZDEN 200UPR Wireless Mic Setup with Canon XH-A1

I messed up a gig this weekend because I thought I understood how to setup the Azden 200 Wireless Dual Mic system on the XH-A1. Actually, I messed up two gigs in a single day. After not sleeping all night and feeling like someone kicked me in the stomach, I got my equipment out and started messing with it. So, I thought I might save someone else from my recent fate and tell you what I thought I knew but didn't and what I found out.

What I thought I knew: I've never owned a piece of professional equipment before and assumed it was kind of like my old handycam in that it would all plug together and just work. So, I mounted my Azden Wireless kit on the top of my Canon XH-A1, plugged in the audio cable via the provided XLR cables and starting filming. Just so you don't think I'm a complete idiot, I did some test runs with my kids a few days before the shoot and thought I had it all figured out. In the test, I ran one mic and apparently got really lucky because it all seemed to work.

What happened: I had a video that involved using both wireless mics, a setup I did not test. So, I went and just plugged everything in like I did with my kids and never looked back. By that I mean I plugged both XLR jacks into the side of the Canon XH-A1, turned it on and tried not to look back. What I got was very noisy audio. The reason: both transmitters were set to the same Group and Channel numbers. Basically, that's bad. I got all flustered because I couldn't figure out what was wrong, went to the second shoot and basically hit the record button at the wrong times and didn't hit it at the right times.

What happened next: As the old TV show used to say, "Gloom, despair and agony on me!"

So, I sat down and figured out how to make this thing work correctly. Here are my findings:

- Make sure the two mics aren't running on the same Group and Channel number. They have to be on the same Group number but make sure they are each assigned a distinct Channel number. There are little rotary dials on the transmitters and the receiver that allow you to adjust these. You will plug in both XLR connectors and set the XLR Input switch to CH1. This way, CH1 will record to Channel 1 on your camera and CH2 will record to Channel 2.
- If you are using one mic, be sure the Group and Channel numbers are in sync. You can tell immediately whether they are or not by the red/green indicator at the back of the receiver. If its green, you're OK. If its red, fire up the other transmitter. you only need to plug in one of the XLR cables. Plug it into the top XLS input. Then be sure to set the XLR Input Switch to CH1-CH2. Then the one mic will record on both channels.

To be sure I have the correct mic when I'm just using one, I've put a piece of tape across the front of the transmitter box. Just an easy way to identify which one to use.

This all seems pretty easy and obvious to me now but I was really struggling to understand the manual that comes with the camera and how to set this device up. Hopefully, these few words will save someone else alot of trouble, lack of sleep or messing up a gig. The only question I have in my mind now is, "What will I mess up the next time I go out?" Hopefully, it won't be the mics.
David Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 02:47 PM   #2
New Boot

Thanks for the post.

I just recently bought a wireless lav setup (different from yours.) I spent a good day figuring the ins and outs of using 2 seperate XLR inputs on the A1 for a shoot I have coming up in a few days. If I hadn't really explored what happens when you do what with the camera, I would have ruined my upcoming shoot.

Hopefully your thread will serve as a warning to others to check their setup before its critical.

And don't worry, now that you know what needs to be done, the rest of your shoots with that gear will be great.
David Sotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: AZDEN 200UPR Wireless Mic Setup with Canon XH-A1

Thanks so much David...helpful posts like yours is why I joined this forum.

I feel your pain, been there myself before...it aint fun. But you faced the problem and learned a great lesson.

Thanks again...Im playing with my Azden and XH A1 now and following your instructions.

Jeff Hinson
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yep, you can run 1 transmitter to 2 receivers on the same freq (same group and channel) going to 2 different devices if you need to but 2 transmitters on the same freq, well now you know what it sounds like. Have no worries, we've all done at one time or another. I've been in video for close to 28 years and every once in a while, I've caught myself doing the same thing. I'm not using Azden but the principle is the same. It's a bummer for sure but now you know and will always remember the rule.
Oh yeah the first rule is to test everything then test it all again before the job.
Old August 7th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #5
New Boot

I feel your pain.....I "did not" have mic attenuation on for my friends metal band in a small hall. And I left my headphones at home because I "will just use the meters".............but they don't tell you the onboard mic is clipping. I never go anywhere without my phones now. :)
Scott Rolston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders