Firewire or HDMI capture ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 9th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #1
New Boot

Firewire or HDMI capture ?

I´m getting the Decklink HD extreme card, and I was wondering if I could get better quality video from my XHA1 by capturing via HDMI instead of firewire. Any toughts about this ? Any advantage ?

Thanks.

Leo.
Leo Bolanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #2
Major Player

There is no HDMI output from the A1, that's only on the G1. so it has to be firewire
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Haycock View Post
There is no HDMI output from the A1, that's only on the G1. so it has to be firewire
Yes, sorry, I mean from the G1.
Leo Bolanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #4
Trustee

HDMI is for video transfer, firewire is for data transfer. So, if you want to throw away all data embedded in your shots, like time code and all meta data, like date/time stamp, exposure settings etc. go ahead and use HDMI. There is no advantage quality wise if you have your shots on tape from using HDMI, only disadvantages.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:28 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bolanos View Post
Yes, sorry, I mean from the G1.
Sorry, but the G1 lacks HDMI as well. It has HD-SDI.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Haycock View Post
There's no HDMI from the G1 either. Are you thinking of HD/SDI? In any case, once the footage is encoded as HDV (25 Mbps MPEG2) onto tape, there's no advantage in capturing it over HD/SDI. Best just to send it over the Firewire. However, if you can connect the HD/SDI to some other capture device as you are shooting, then you have the option of recording in more-or-less any HD format you like because you are receiving the full-resolution, uncompressed signal as fed to the MPEG compressor in the cam.

To capture over HDMI, you need an HV30 or similar. Some of the Sonys send uncompressed signal to HDMI during shooting, too. I think the VI/FX7 does and probably the Z7. Again, this is only an advantage if you are capturing as you are shooting. Once the signal is recorded as HDV, you are best to stick to Firewire.
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #7
Major Player

Sorry - all I knew was that the G1 has something for outputting HDV that the A1 doesn't. Oh yes, it's my laptop that has an HDMI socket!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders