Will DV mode improve XH-A1 low light? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 12th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Will DV mode improve XH-A1 low light?

I found myself during two wedding receptions where low light ambiance could not be changed.
Would A1 recording in DV mode provide a substantial improvement?
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Greg. I just tried this and could not see any difference in exposure between the 2 modes. If there is a difference it is definitely not "substantial".

Have you tried any of the low light presets? If these don't work for you the only real solution is an on-camera light, although this can often disturb the subjects if it's too bright. A dimmable light with diffusion is probably best.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter View Post
I just tried this and could not see any difference in exposure between the 2 modes.
Have you tried any of the low light presets? If these don't work for you the only real solution is an on-camera light Richard
No I haven't but definitely will try the low light presets. I have had mixed results using an on camera light. It definitely assists with low light but it is SO intrusive on the talent at the reception.
It is very disappointing to hear that DV mode and HDV mode are just about the same in a low light situation.
Old September 13th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #4
Contributor

There won't be any difference. What affects light sensitivity are the chips and the lens, not whether it's HD or SD. The higher the resolution of the same size chips, the smaller the pixels are and the lower their light gathering capability. I've found the camera to be pretty decent, for a 1/3" chip camera, in low light. I shoot at 24 fps, 1/48 shutter. For a wedding you probably could go down to 1/24 because there isn't a lot of fast movement in most cases. And of course, shoot at a wide angle so your lens doesn't stop down. You can go to a +3 with little degradation but +6 starts showing some. Unfortunately the first half of the word photography is photo...from the Greek photos, meaning light. It takes light. When they turn out the lights for a dance, even the excellent low light capabilities of a 2/3" chip camera like the DSR500 aren't good enough.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Greg,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clark View Post
I have had mixed results using an on camera light. It definitely assists with low light but it is SO intrusive on the talent at the reception.
Take the light off the camera. On-camera lighting isn't flattering and it draws attention to you because the light source is at eye level. Move the light to a stand or have an assistant with the light on a pole. More options are becoming available as people realize the benefits of off-camera lighting. It doesn't have to be intrusive and it leaves you to be more mobile and discreet. Just one way: The Wireless RECEPTION LIGHT by Darrell Boeck . You can DIY a similar set up yourself.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #6
Contributor

That's a very handy thing to have, and not a bad price, considering the battery and remote.
You can also run a Lowel Omni with a 200 watt DC bulb from a cheap battery belt, but you'd have to come up with the remote on your own.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #7
Major Player

What would we do without DV Info??

Thanks to Richard, Bill and Joel for opening my mind to other alternatives for the dark wedding reception.
Bill you have given me the push to move from 60i and experiment with 24f.
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #8
New Boot

Low light settings

Worst low-light situation I've tried taping with my XH-A1 was a poetry "slam" lit by nothing but candles. I used 24fps, 1/48 shutter, made sure the ND filter was OFF, exposure open wide, 3dB video gain. We're talking so little light that I could barely see the poets or audience with my naked eye, but I managed to make a clear record of the event despite the crummy conditions.
Robin Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Low light is pretty bad. Your best bet is to always shoot in the highest res and then downres in post.
Stanley Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Just one way: The Wireless RECEPTION LIGHT by Darrell Boeck . You can DIY a similar set up yourself.
This looks like a nice product - the only thing it's missing is a dimmer, ideally controllable from the remote. Anyone know of anything or a way to add via a radio shack add-on or something?

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders