Audio 2 frames out of sync at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio 2 frames out of sync

Hi Guys,
Well, I was importing some short footage into imovie '08, it being only 20 minutes, I thought I'd edit it quickly, and the audio is out of sync. I shot in 30f and the audio is fine on the tape, I have no idea what's going on? Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Suzanne Zorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I ran into the same problem last night. I was importing some 10 minutes of footage, which I shot in 24f, and the audio was fine on the tape. But when I played it back in my editing software (premiere elements), some of the audio was gone. There was a stretch of silence, then the rest of the audio was about a minute behind the video.
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Major Player

This is an easy fix in any NLE (aside from iMovie).
In Final Cut, just click the audio track (make sure the A/V link is broken) and type "-2 + enter" this will nudge the audio back two frames. Play with the nudge factor until the audio is synced.

As for the original master, make sure you can verify your audio was recorded correctly. Play it out to a monitor. Most likely, your computer's performance hindered the capture process, thus delaying the audio. Its a common problem when you record to your internal hard drive. Suggestion - get a Firewire 800 drive and invest in Final Cut.

Hope this helps,
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris,
just for the fun of it, there's no fix in Imovie for this is there?
Suzanne Zorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Not that I know of. Try recapturing to a different disk.
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #6
Contributor

It could have something to do with your processor too. When I first got my XH A1 I captured with my old iBook, just to check things out. Captured fine, but played back out of sync. I moved the same captured files from the iBook to the editing computer at work and it played fine.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Bill, that's what I am wondering as well. I am clearing out a bunch of.dv's to see if it helps, but this dual processor should do much better than this! I'll let you know if this works...
Suzanne Zorich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders