Vista capture issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 29th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vista capture issues

I usually use HDSplit to capture video from the cam, but I have some video in 16:9 SD, and HDSplit won't capture it. I try to capture it using Virtualdub, but it can't seem to see the camera. I don't think there are any Vista drivers for the camera - I can't find any evidence online and Canon's site says nothing. So, I'm stuck, I have no idea how to get SD video captured in XP. Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: Well, inexplicably, the 5th time I plugged the camera in, Vista brought up the "import video" dialogue and now I'm getting it. But any input on other workarounds is still helpful. Thanks. Curse you, Microsoft!

Last edited by Robert Hruska; September 29th, 2008 at 12:28 AM. Reason: clarification
Robert Hruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 03:55 AM   #2
Major Player

There is a trick to getting your comp to capture SD with the XHA1. At least for me. I have to put the SD tape in and hit play so the little readout changes from HDV to DV16:9, then turn the camera off and on and again.

It's a little annoying, but Vista then recognizes it. When capturing HDV, Vista will beep but won't bring up the "Autorun" HDVSplit will recognize it though.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Rickert View Post
There is a trick to getting your comp to capture SD with the XHA1. At least for me. I have to put the SD tape in and hit play so the little readout changes from HDV to DV16:9, then turn the camera off and on and again.

It's a little annoying, but Vista then recognizes it. When capturing HDV, Vista will beep but won't bring up the "Autorun" HDVSplit will recognize it though.
Have the same thing happening with my HV20 that I use to capture all my footage (Canon HV20 or FX1). It seems that after plugging in firewire, running the tape a brief second will create a connection. Just the connection itself does not do anything.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders