Video 8mm > VHS VCR > XHA1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 19th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Video 8mm > VHS VCR > XHA1

Hi Everyone

For a short film I'm making, I need to transfer footage from an old video Canon UC6000 8mm camcorder I bought from ebay (no instructions with it), and get it onto my XHA1, via my VHS VCR.

Is this possible to input video into it for purposes of converting it to digital and outputting into a computer?

As things stand...

There's only a single socket output from the Canon UC6000 8mm camcorder (not sure what kind of socket this is as I have no instructions for the camera ) which is a lead that becomes a 'video' (yellow) and a single 'audio' (white) connection.

I've plugged the 'video' (yellow) and the single 'audio' (white) connection into a scart adaptor, which I've plugged into the VHS VCR.

I've turned the VHS VCR onto its 'AV' channel to receive the 8mm camcorder signal.

I used the lead that came with the XHA1 which have the 'video' (yellow) and the single 'audio' (white) connection on one end - I plugged this end into the video and audio out on the VHS VCR...

...and at the other end of this lead is a single connection which I plugged into a socket at the back of my XHA1 (the little one with the 'V2/V1' switch beside it, just above the firewire socket).

Are there certain settings on the XHA1 I should use? I consulted the manual and it seemed to say to go to Menu and turn 'DV Off' - I've tried that to no avail. I've also tried playing a VHS tape to see if that would register in the XHA1 viewfinder or even in my 'uncontrollable device' capture

Should I perhaps have to actually press record on my XHA1 to see any input (hence wasting valuable balnk tape :o) ). I read somewhere else that there is an option for 'component in' - would this be relevant to what I'm trying to do, do you think?

I'm a little lost and in a tangle of wires like the giant spider's web in the Harry Potter film!

I'm thinking it would be ideal to simply have a lead that goes directly from the Canon UC6000 and straight into the Canon XHA1, and by-pass the VHS VCR.

Still not sure if any of this is actually possible though!

Any suggestions really appreciated.

Peter
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Trustee

Peter... What you want, optimally, is DV pass through. This would take an analog signal and pass it through the cam and instantly convert it to DV that your computer would see through the 1394 cable. I am not certain if the A1 can do this but something tells me that it might. I think I ran across something in the A1 manual that referenced it, but since I no longer live in an analog world I paid it no mind.

If the A1 supports pass through, you should be able to eliminate the VCR from your configuration. Take the yellow video cable from your 8mm and connect it to the yellow RCA connector on the composite cable on the A1. Do the same with the audio cable. You'll need female/female connectors to make them compatible. This should feed the analog signal from your 8mm directly to the A1 and onward to your PC.

Leaving the VCR out of the connection will probably improve the image quality as the additional cabling and VCR circuitry can disturb the signal.

If the A1 doesn't support pass through, there are lots of cams that do. My ancient Sony handicam would, until it died. I think my old Sony TRV-19 will as well. Check with your mates and see what their gear might do.

HTH
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Spot on, Tripp....................

Page 105 of the A1 manual says it all.

(Following pages give more connection details).

Yep, it's do - able, and taking the VCR out of the equation is a very good idea.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Terrific Tripp and Chris thanks for the advice will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi I tried what you suggested but no joy just yet.

I'd appreciate any further thoughts based on what I've tried below. Here's what I did:

I plugged the DTC-1000 Component Cable into the XHA1, then bought female/female connectors so that I could link the DTC-1000 to the cable leading out from the Canon UC6000 Video 8 camcorder. As per the instructions in the manual I put the XHA1 in VCR/PLAY mode and pressed record/pause. Unfortunately all I got what the same blank blue display despite a pre-recorded tape playing footage in the UC6000. I tried switching the XHA1 to camcorder mode in the hope of getting a picture but I had no luck.

In case there was a problem with the lead that comes out from the UC6000, I decided to connect only the VHS player to the XHA1 to see if I could get a picture on my XHA1's display that way. For this, again plugged the DTC-1000 Component Cable into the XHA1. However, at the end of the DTC-100 lead, I attached a Scart adaptor which I plugged into the video/out Scart at the back of the VCR. I pressed play on the VHS tape and did the record/pause on the XHA1. Again, just the blue screen with some basic menu items. Again, I tried switching the XHA1 to camcorder mode in the hope of getting a picture but I had no luck.

I notice there a STV-290N Stereo Video Cable that comes with the XHA1. Might I somehow need to use this instead?

I'm confused by the Video Output Selection switch and its purpose. I'm also confused by the A/V1 terminal, and also the COMPONENT OUT terminal (I've read on the net that this can be used for incoming as well and outgoing signals - this is correct yeah?)

I'm at a bit of a loss and would truly appreciate your thoughts

All the best

Peter
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #6
Major Player

Peter,

Make 100 % sure that - menu - signal setup - AV > DV is switched to ON.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Whoa..............

Er, what's a DTC - 1000?

The "Component" (3 lead video) from the XH A1 is OUT only, you cannot record video INTO the A1 using the Component port.

OK, back to basics.................

1. Connect the single Yellow "Composite video" out from the UC6000 to ANY "Composite Video" I/P enabled screen and press play on the 6000. If you get a picture - go to 2.

2. Connect the Canon STV 290N Stereo cable to the A/V1 port on the A1 and the other end to the UC6000 (yellow video - yellow video; white audio - white audio). Gender benders possibly required depending on UC6000 connectors.

3. Go to page 103 (PAL manual) "Recording an External Video Signal" - "Analogue In" and do as it says.

4. It should work.

5. Let us know if it doesn't.

CS

Last edited by Chris Soucy; October 20th, 2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Whoops!
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Er, what's a DTC - 1000?

The "Component" (3 lead video) from the XH A1 is OUT only, you cannot record video INTO the A1 using the Component port.

OK, back to basics.................

1. Connect the single Yellow "Composite video" out from the UC6000 to ANY "Composite Video" I/P enabled screen and press play on the 6000. If you get a picture - go to 2.

2. Connect the Canon STV 290N Stereo cable to the A/V1 port on the A1 and the other end to the UC6000 (yellow video - yellow video; white audio - white audio). Gender benders possibly required depending on UC6000 connectors.

3. Go to page 103 (PAL manual) "Recording an External Video Signal" - "Analogue In" and do as it says.

4. It should work.

5. Let us know if it doesn't.

CS
Thanks guys - on page 7 of my XHA1 Instruction Manual it shows the DTC-1000 Component Video Cable - maybe different name for the lead here in the UK perhaps?

Okay I'll give your suggestions a try and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Peter
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Duh............

So that's what it's called?

Here it's referred to as:

"Where's that damn cable gone now?"

CS
Old October 20th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks a million guys

RESULT! Brilliant :o)

Excellent!!!!!!! You've made my day!
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:58 AM   #11
Major Player

Just a follow-on query...I also have some VHS tapes I would like to transfer to my Mac via my XHA1 but am a little stuck about how to proceed. Any suggestions appreciated as always :)

The PC-A10 SCART Adaptor is included with UK XHA1's. It is for 'output' only. In other words, it is shown in a diagram on p.96 of my XHA1 instruction manual as only being used for output signals 'from' the XHA1 (to output the XHA1 image to a monitor).

I have a Ferguson FV020N VHS VCR which has a SCART port at the back of it. Beside the SCART port "TV" is printed. There are also red and blue Audio Out connections (phono I think they're called?). Lastly, there are also 2 RF ports, an In and an Out.

Now, my thinking is that I will need to purchase an 'input only' SCART Adaptor (do they exist?), which I could use to connect my FV020N to the Canon STV 290N Stereo cable to the A/V1 port on the XHA1.

If 'input only' SCART Adaptors do exist (have Googled them but gotten confused) I'm a little concerned that a shop assistant might sell me an 'output only' SCART Adaptor - is there a way I could make it absolutely clear I need an 'input only' SCART Adaptor? Perhaps a particular code in the items name or something?

Could this work do you think?

All the best

Peter
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:31 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Peter...............

Good to hear you cracked the 6000 problem.

You can buy (local/ favourite electronics store) switchable Input/ Output scart connectors.

The one's I've seen have RCA connectors for both video/ audio AND an S - video connector to boot.

Because I'm in "post mode" I can't see where you are, so will add this in case...........

Scart connectors never really made the jump across the pond to the Americas/ Pacific region so can be as rare as hens teeth (no great loss - bloody "fall out if you look at 'em sideways" things they are).

If you're in the UK, Maplins is your first port of call. Australasia - Dick Smith; America's - Radio Shack or similar.

There are also unswitched versions, which as you say, have IN or OUT printed pretty clearly on the plastic shell.

Good luck.

CS
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:43 AM   #13
Major Player

The 'in-out' Scart adaptor worked a charm - thanks for all your help! Really appreciated!
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Glad to hear it, Pete............

Thanks for keeping us posted.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders