Going in Circles... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 2nd, 2008, 11:32 PM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bolton View Post
Another contributor to the indecisive issue is the marginal quality of many of the sample clips that I see on Vimeo or........?
Look at Steven Dempsey's videos
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 10:42 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Leong View Post
Capture Magic HD works with the A1. Trial Version here:

Capture Magic HD 1.0 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker
Capture Magic also bypasses QuickTime and its limitations entirely, so you can capture more than one source at a time. I capture two concurrent firewire sources without a hitch to the same computer. The only downside to the application is that it hasn't been updated in quite a while, but it does what it says it will do and didn't have any problem when I switched to OS 10.5.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:36 PM   #33
Contributor

The XH A1 will do all that you need to do with no problems and is one of the most cost effective ways to do so. But if the company's buying the camera, it would be a nice opportunity to get an EX1. I always like bigger chips, although I don't particularly like the tapeless workflow. You can't judge anything by what you see on Vimeo or Youtube. Take a look at all those XH A1 clips that are posted on here.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #34
Trustee

The EX1 is a pig if you have to hand-hold it though. If you need the overcranking and can afford the extra, I would go for the EX3. Of course if you always use a tripod the EX1 should be fine.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Tripod it is - and I was surprised at all the choices / decisions out there as well :-)

After trying out several, I went with the Libec LS - 38M (mid level spreader). It has a great price and the smoothest movement of all the fluid heads I checked out. At least that is one decision I won't have to go in circles with anymore.

As a beginner - one tends to think of lots of panning and tilting. As I carefully watch movies I see far less use of those techniques in favor of what appears to be different angle static shots with minimal zooming / panning / tilting. So - I continue to watch, see & learn.

All of you have presented so much information & experience - thanks so much. I still have about a month before I may have to make the purchase - circle / circles & more circles :-)
Rick Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter View Post
...I would still want to shoot tapes as archive...
In that case, your choice is between Canon and Sony HDV offerings. In all cases, you can add the Sony CF Card recorder (included with the Sony Z7) if you want the solid-state options, or the Sony or Fire Store hard-drive recorders for longer recording times.

If you really have a problem with CMOS rolling shutter, then it's either a Canon or a Sony FX1/Z1, and if you want the Sony, get one soon, before supply trickles out. The CMOS FX1000/Z5 will replace them in the next few months. You may be able to get a healthy discount on the old models. Actually, with the XH-A1S just announced, there may be discounts to be had on the current Canon, too. I chose the Canon over the Sony 2 years ago and don't regret it. If you need a camera now, go for the XH-A1.

Like Bill Pryor, I can't see the rolling shutter being a problem except in quite extreme situations. Therefore, if you are not in a hurry, I'd say wait for January, then compare the Sony FX1000/Z5 with the XH-A1S. (If only the Canon could record video to it's internal SDHC card drive, it would be the winner, hands down, but it can't!)

There's no substitute for getting your hands on the rival models. The narrow technical differences are less important than not being able to reach an important button or having to squint through the eyepiece!

BTW, according to a chap who works for the UK importer, the Panasonic HMC150 and HPX170 share quite a lot of engineering, including the lens I think. The principle difference is that 150 records AVCHD onto SDHC and the 170 records DVCPro-HD onto P2, which is a vastly more expensive workflow.

If you go for the Sony EX1 or EX3, then check out the Kingston SD/SxS adaptor that allows you to use SDHC cards - there are lots of threads about this elsewhere...
Old November 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #37
Contributor

You bring up a very good point about the XH A1s...that makes it a very good time to buy an XH A1. The upgraded model will be selling at full retail price for a few months, and the XH A1 is now going for under $3200 (USD) at B&H.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders