XHA1 + Z7U Weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 28th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #1
New Boot

XHA1 + Z7U Weddings

RF Productions 2008 Demo Reel on Vimeo

Combo of the two!
Desy Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

XHA1 + Z7U Weddings

Looks like you spent some time on the reel and I thought it looked great. It seems the two cams worked well together.
Was there a lot of post work involved for the reel and what did you have to go through to make the cams look so close to each other?
There was one scene (I think it's the one where a couple is kissing and looks like parents are with them) that has a greenish/tint hue to it, was that on purpose?
I didn't notice any real rolling shutter issues. Did you have to plan your shots to avoid that possible problem or were you just able to shoot away?

Hope you get lots of work

Rick
Rick Lutec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks! Not a whooole lot of post, I just edited colors using Apple Color, but if you look at the raw material they look VERY similar so I didn't do too much to make it similar. I would actually say the Canon produced better results than the Sony.

Yes I colored everything on purpose just create a variance of images. Some like it some may not, I was just playing around, thought it would be neat to have something different.

For rolling shutter, we didn't have that many problems at all because we would shoot mainly in line with the photographer. The we would place ourselves behind or beside the flashes.

We didn't really plan on it, we just kind of shot away, but happened to be in the right place!
Old November 28th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #4
Major Player

How do you find the Z7 compared to the A1 regarding low light?
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #5
New Boot

I found that the Canon was much better. And this is an UN-biased opinion as I shot with the Z7 the WHOLE summer and my partner shot with the Canon. While editing, I definitely noticed the Canon was better.
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks mate, that's good to know as I have a shoot next week with a guy with a Z7 and he was saying how much better he reckoned it would be in low light.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desy Cheng View Post
I found that the Canon was much better. And this is an UN-biased opinion as I shot with the Z7 the WHOLE summer and my partner shot with the Canon. While editing, I definitely noticed the Canon was better.
the canon is better under low light then the Sony Z7 that is a false statement. I've seen the canon under low light it is no where near as good you cant even put your gain up without getting grain.

I think you need to compare the Z1 to the A1

You should post a new thread in the sony section and see what response you get
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #8
New Boot

Yes I've read how the Z7 is getting better low light, but I dunno about mine! Based on the footage from MY cameras, I like the Canon better.

In terms of ergonomics, usability, functions, manual control, etc., Sony is much better which is why I personally shot with it rather than the Canon.

But either way, my Canon is sold and my Z7 is up for sale...

no more HDV for me as I now have 2 EX1s
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:20 AM   #9
Major Player

why have you gone away from HDV the Z7 is an exceptional camera but the EX1 is in it's own class all together.

I personally am waiting for the A1s to be released.
Robert Bec is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders