XH A1 vs. XH A1s - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #16
Major Player

I really think Canon has to get off the dime here and do something to improve the low light and noise performance of the A1. Not that its bad now, however....with Sony offering so many new flavors of HDV cams, most with much greater low light sensitivity than the A1, and with the new Panasonics (HMC150) offering new CCDs with greater sensitivity and less noise, I do not see how Canon can continue to not respond to these new challenges.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #17
Major Player

Agreed, that extra sensitivity would have been a big deal breaker for me.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #18
Major Player

What are the differences?

Is there a list of the differences between the A1 and the A1S anywhere?
Thanks
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kepen View Post
Is there a list of the differences between the A1 and the A1S anywhere?
There was a pretty good list in a thread here somewhere, but I cannot find it. If you're in the mood for a search, you should turn it up.

There were a lot of significant upgrades but no new ground broken. My impression was that about 80% of the deficiencies in the camera were eliminated.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I love my A1, but don't feel the need to upgrade. Some nice features for me, but not worth THAT much.

OIS switchable button is nice.
Onboard mic+XLR mic is nice.
Metal headphone jack is nice. I had to drill a hole in the cover to use my headphone without the cover flying around.

But they didn't change that crappy LCD, did they? That's the real downside on the XH for me. Outdoors almost useless. Indoors it's better, but unreliable and lowres.
My HV20's LCD looks even better then my A1 LCD. They really could learn something from Sony (EX1/3 anyone?) on that part.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #21
Regular Crew

What about CA?

Does anyone know if Canon fixed the Chromatic Aberration issue with the new XH A1s? It is the one thing that really kept me from buying the XH A1.
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #22
Major Player

Right after I got the XHA1 I wrote them and gave them my laundry list. The 6 Pin FIREWIRE is almost worth it alone IMO! It's about freaking time. Especially when I'm using the FireStore.

Just kinda irritates me that they do this less than a year after I picked up my camera. I was about to buy an HV30 for a second camera, but I might sell some plasma or something and see if I can get the A1S instead. Bleah.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Petersen View Post
Does anyone know if Canon fixed the Chromatic Aberration issue with the new XH A1s? It is the one thing that really kept me from buying the XH A1.
I haven't heard anything that would indicate they've made changes on that front.

I may be risking a minor hijack here, but after a year of shooting in all sorts of conditions I haven't noticed CA being a bigger problem than I've seen with other cameras. The only time I see it in my footage is in really bright, high contrast shots. Although I wish it wasn't there, it's never been bad enough to make me toss a shot into the bin.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #24
Inner Circle

The A1s is now selling in Aust. for $A5295 incl. tax.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #25
Trustee

I just noticed the same thing on the Videoguys Aust. website. Funny thing is, i'm sure the old A1 was that price the last time i checked. That makes the camera $700 cheaper than the Sony FX1000. Are Canon Australia perhaps worried about losing sales to the FX1000? Certainly sounds like a very good deal for the new A1s model to me! I see that B&H have it listed at $3999 which if i remember correctly was the price from them when the A1 first came out. I wonder if the price will drop there as well??

Bryce
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #26
Inner Circle

That's where I saw it Bryce, and I think you're right 'bout the other prices. Wonder what the A1s will be after Xmas into Feb March.

And if you're updating A1 to A1s what price is your A1 worth now...and with the new JVC on the horizon.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #27
New Boot

thanks everyone for the feedback. I've been checking in and out on this topic and I am still on the fence. I keep going back to the sample footage of the XHA1 and being very impressed.
So wrapping up some of the design flaws for the XHA1 and that is fixed in the XHA1s
1. No OIS fixed in XHa1s
( I could live without in my work)

2. flimsy headphone jack, fixed in XHA1s
(can't really grasp this one. I hope it's not that bad)

3. XHa1s provides new options for audio, built in mic and XLR same time.
(More audio options are better but worth the $1000 tag?)

4. Six pin Firewire in XHA1s.
(Good, but not sure if I will be using firestore, or something similar.)

Sure there are more, just going from my memory. I think if the sensor was different or a new type of lens, the price could be justified. But I am on a deadline to get this camera, and I have been putting it off for a while. If you wait around forever for the next cheapest, greatest thing, your never out shooting or learning your camera. I am writing this to myself too :) So waiting for the XHa1s to get cheaper is probably not an option.

To be honest, I am going back and forth with the XHA1 and the new 5DmarkII. Both have their compromises. XHA1, older technology, but hey it's a video camera. 5dmarkII is with the latest technology, but hey it's a photo camera. Don't want to change the thread subject, but just letting you know where I am coming from.
Michael D. Shivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #28
Major Player

Michael, just to clarify issue 1. Both cameras do have OIS. On the A1 you have to navigate to a menu item to turn it on or off. On the A1s, I believe you can assign that function to a button, making it much easier to turn on or off while you are filming.

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #29
New Boot

Pat- thanks for that. I meant to say "1. no dedicated OIS button". the XHa1 is menu driven. XHa1s has a button.
Michael D. Shivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #30
Regular Crew

If you go to: www.xha1.nl you will find two articles: 'inside the canon XH-A1S' and 'outside the canon XH-A1S'. All text is in Dutch, but the photo's will show the differences between the A1 and A1S.

We had the chance to visit Canon HQ in the Netherlands and had a 'hands on meeting' with the guys there. We were one of the first to have a look at the XH-G1S and made pictures of every detail we could find out in that short time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders