Which fluid head tripod should I buy for the XH A1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:02 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Graham View Post
What do the terms ENG and EFP mean when applied to video equipment?
ENG: Electroneurography (or Electronic News Gathering)
EFP: Emergency Fire Pump (or Electronic Field Production)
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM   #17
Trustee

It is best to see the tripods to understand their strengths and weaknesses.

The Gitzo and Solo are similar design, and neither requires a spreader. The spreader is built into the collar. I personally like the Gitzo better, and I think it is more stable with less (actually none) torsion flex.

The Solo mentioned above might have bigger legs than the tall Gitzo I link to. The Gitzo allows for a change in bowls/plate, whereas the Solo does not.

I have the older Cartoni Alpha head, and many like its replacement the Focus. However, I like the Gitzo 1380 head better. I have also like the Sachtler heads (especially the newer one with side release plate like on the Cartoni), but I don't own one.

It might not be the best idea to base the tripod purchase on one over-the-shoulder shot. LIke previously mentioned, there are other ways to get this. You can also put your head on a hi-hat and set it just about anywhere you want.

You should look at this setup, too, just to make your search complete:
Sachtler | DV-6SB SL Carbon Fiber Tripod System | 0650 | B&H
This is a fantastic head. The legs operate extremely quickly. However, the setup is standard height.

If you want the ultimate in stability, look at the Vinten Fibertec tripod reviewed by Chris Soucy:
DV Info Net Review: Vinten FiberTec Video Tripod by Chris Soucy, Part 1 of 5
You can put the head of your choice on this.

If you are looking for height, see what the local news crews are using. Their tripod are often very tall, but I think you would be entering a new price range.

Last edited by Jack Walker; December 23rd, 2008 at 12:48 PM.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:46 AM   #18
Major Player

I have a manfrotto 701 video head, but find that the lock for the baseplate movement comes loose when the camera is wearing is portabrace body armour. Is that a problem with any other heads?
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #19
Inner Circle

ENG = Electronic News Gathering, I think. EFP escapes me at the moment.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #20
Major Player

Thanks for the help everyone :)

I didn't realise there was such a thing as hi-hats! Thanks for the link to those Jack.

I could be wrong but I think most shots in feature films have the camera at eye level to give them neutrality. So height is quite important for the types of film I want to make, even without the OTS shots.

Jack: I'll take a look at those tripods and add them to my list.

By the way Jack, which heads are your favourite, Sachtler or the Gitzo 1380?
Old January 8th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #21
Major Player

Sorry to come in late on this one.

Like Jack I have a Gitzo 1380 (now working correctly thank Jack) on some old Carbon Fibre Gitzo sticks and like it a great deal better than the Manfrotto 503 / 525 combination that I previously used. I also find sticks without spreaders much more flexible in use.

One thought to add to the mix: Gitzo are primarily a photographic tripod maker, but their high end Systematic tripods allow the interchangeable bowls that have been mentioned and the range is quite extensive. The sticks are light carbon Fibre and incredibly rigid / resistant to twist. The normal choice are the GT3531LSV sticks which are around 1.5 m high - however, the GT5531S offers extension, with 4 sections, up to 2m / 6.5 feet which may useful for your needs? Add the 1380 head and you have lightweight and flexible setup.

Nick.
Old January 10th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #22
Major Player

Thanks Nick. I downloaded the Gitzo catalogue and there are some great looking tripods in there. I like the GT5561SGT giant tripod, this goes up to 260cm in height!
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #23
Major Player

Vinten vision 3. Buy with confidence in the $2000 range nothing comes close
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #24
Major Player

Glad to help Stuart. I have been using Gitzo's for a few years for stills and it seemed the obvious thing to put a video head on one - the results have been excellent.

The GT5561 is on my wish list for architectural work - with a good set of steps!

Nick.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders