I need Help my camera just died at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 26th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I need Help my camera just died

Hi and Merry christmas to all
Yesterday while I was filming my camera just went dead, and I know is not the battery because it was charged and after it happened I recharged it a little more just in case but I didn't have any luck, It won't turn on. Have this happened to any of you before?. Any suggestions before I call canon customer service?
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #2
Trustee

Sounds like the dreaded Standby Mode levers (NTSC pdf manual page 152 - Troubleshooting)

There's one on the back of the camera and another on the top.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #3
New Boot

Sorry if I'm suggesting the obvious, but it's happened to me. Are you sure the "Standby/Lock" switch on the back of the handgrip didn't accidentally get pushed to "Lock?"

Hope you find the trouble.

Bill
Bill Fredette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fredette View Post
Sorry if I'm suggesting the obvious, but it's happened to me. Are you sure the "Standby/Lock" switch on the back of the handgrip didn't accidentally get pushed to "Lock?"

Hope you find the trouble.

Bill
That's the first thing I checked, the standby/lock switch in the back of the camera where you press Record.
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
Sounds like the dreaded Standby Mode levers (NTSC pdf manual page 152 - Troubleshooting)

There's one on the back of the camera and another on the top.
Hey which one is the top one? I allready know of the back one where you press record and that one is where it should be.
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #6
New Boot

Check page 13 of the manual (it's quicker than my trying to describe the location).
Bill Fredette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fredette View Post
Check page 13 of the manual (it's quicker than my trying to describe the location).
I'll check but I don't think is that. thanks
Old December 26th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #8
Trustee

Did you try running the camera on house power instead of the battery? It is possible, but not likely, that the battery shorted itself out. It does happen but it's very rare.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Maybe try ejecting the battery, clean the contacts and reinsert. Sometimes if the battery is not properly seated, there is no power.
James R. Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #10
Major Player

Try it with the AC adapter--will it turn on then? If so, you have a defective battery. Try it with another battery, see what happens.

If you have dropped it, (the battery that is) that can sometimes damage the battery's internals so it ceases functioning.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #11
New Boot

I had the same problem with my 2 day old XH A1. It simply wouldn't turn on. I called Canon tech service and they told me to hit the reset button (which is located under the LCD). That didn't work so I exchanged it for a brand new one with my dealer.

I'm thinking it had something to do with the Firewire being plugged in, because that is when it stopped working. The firewire 6pin slot in my computer where I used to plug it in will never be used again because of fear.
Jarred Gastreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 05:25 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi

Does it work in VCR mode, as a player?

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #13
New Boot

I have a Sony EX1 and it has a lithium battery that helps keep the camera alive.

You might consider checking to see if there is a lithium battery that has run down and is keeping the camera from coming on in order to preserve the settings and time on the camera. The Sony cameras I've had, and my mac book pro as well, will go into hibernation to save information on the computer. So, please check to see if you have a lithium battery on the camera somewhere. Replace it.

Even if it doesn't work it may be cheaper and faster than taking it in for servicing.

Give it shot and let us know what happens?

d-
David Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for all your replies but None of the suggestions worked, I sent the camera to Canon. I'll let you guys know the status.
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #15
Regular Crew

You may have just tripped the master fuse. That happened to me last February with my XL2. Pretty simple fix, has to be sent in tho. It cost me about $180 at a Canon authorized repair facility in Canada.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders