Preset causing focus issues? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 30th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #1
Major Player

Preset causing focus issues?

Hey Guys,
Lately I have had some issues with focus in both SD and HDV modes on both cameras, and was wondering if there was something about my preset that could be causing my focus issues. Here's my preset...
Gam N
Kne A
Blk P
Ped 0
Set 0
Shp -2
HDF M
DHV 0
Cor 0
NR2 H
And then all color matrixes are set for the truecolor.

What I've changed recently is Blk to P. I get a cleaner picture in low light, but I am having a very hard time maintaining focus, and have alot of shots that are just plain ole out of focus. I also had the Time Warner editor call me and ask if I was using manual focus because everything was off. It seems to only be a problem when I have a light background. I have a similar issue with both cams which led me towards the preset. This basically started showing itslelf on my 10/11 wedding. Not wildly out of focus, but just not sharp I guess. I have been using basically the same preset since August and had no issues. Anything I'm missing here? Do I have 2 broke cameras. Oh and it seems to be much worse in SD.
Bill
Grant Photo & Video
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Major Player

I've had the same problem. The autofocus tends to be really sluggish when using certain presets. Does anyone know why this is?
Erik Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I had an issue hand holding and using Tv (shutter priority mode), things seemed like they were out of focus in the distance but I put it down to having too slow a shutter speed set (1/50th sec) - which was fine close up. I upped the shutter speed and things were ok.
The situation came about as I set 1/50 sec for indoor subjects on a tripod and this was also ok for reasonably close up outdoor (handheld) , but I never changed it and distance subjects lost their sharpness due to this low shutter speed and at the time I thought it was a camera focusing problem.
Brian Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Rest the camara

use a nice HD LCD OR TV .
Tamim Amini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders