Transferring footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Transferring footage

OK, I am going to look like an idiot, but here it goes anyway.

I had recently purchased the XH A1 last summer for hunting footage. Before, I had the XL2. I always download my footage to my computer at the end of the year for a keep sake, before I send it in to be proffessionally done....in other words, I dable in it just to have my own footage.

So, I have windows XP and I always used windows movie maker (I know....but it is easy to use and makes good enough quality video for me to watch on my own). Downloading from camera to computer before was no issue with the XL2, but now, it seems with the XH A1, it wont recognize my camera.

My question is two fold. Does movie maker with windows XP work...can it read high def footage? 2nd question, if I need to download drivers, where is the best place to get these?
Derrick DeWilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick DeWilde View Post
My question is two fold. Does movie maker with windows XP work...can it read high def footage? 2nd question, if I need to download drivers, where is the best place to get these?
Dunno and no.

If all you want to do is view and or store the footage on your computer you can download HDVSplit (it's free and works very well) for capturing. There are any number of viewers out there for free that will let you watch your footage.

If you want to do some editing, you might want to invest in Premier Elements or a similar consumer product that can edit HDV. Windows Movie Maker isn't something I think many of us have spent any quality time with.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #3
Tourist

You can capture HDV with Windows movie if you have Vista premium or ultimate. I recommend Sony vegas movie studio premium, it's inexpensive and has excellent help / how to features ( great for newbies). It's been solid as a rock for me.
John R. Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

and the funny thing is that vegas recognizes more codecs than premiere

When you want to work with different kind of footage its help full.
vegas recognizes more different codecs and its easier, makes life easier for the beginner :) and for the intermediate .
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders