noise, noise...and more noise. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 25th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

noise, noise...and more noise.

hello!

new to dvinfo, and i have a problem that i hope someone can help me with.

i have had my a1 for about 8 months and can confidently say i have made some decent stuff with it. however, starting to play around with the CP features i am hoping it possibly may fix the problem. i feel like i constantly have too much noise in my shots. i mean, i understand hdv compression, but i have some some great work come out of the a1. my big issue is low light. i have used the gain settings but no CP for night. i also just capture in fcp6 via hdv capture. any help regarding this issue or possible CP/capture setups you use would make my life great!(been bugging me for the past nights). i will put some test shots so you have a visual to critique.

thanks for the help!

dan
Daniel Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Major Player

What mode are you shooting at? What is your gain setting?

Ensure auto gain is turned off.

Shoot in manual.

Gain at +12 is bad....most folks have change gain setting to +6, +3, -3.

GAIN=GRAIN

There is a preset out there call pfvision.....Randy made it for low light conditions when shooting at wedding receptions. It looks pretty good.

Recommend use the search feature and search "low light"

Hope this helps ya,
Michael
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

hey michael, thank you. gain is +3, +6 makes me nervous sometimes. 24F hdv, manual yes auto gain off yes. everything is how it should. im exporting a small clip now to post. and i have searched the forums but have gotten nothing so i wanted to post and gear it to my problem.

dan
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Try this old thread

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...ight=LOW+LIGHT
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks again michael, some of the posts did help. i also oddly enough have never edited 30p haha. i tried it out and seems to give no "drag" or not as much as 24p. seemed to help with the picture quality..but maybe ive been staring at my screen 6 hours too long.

any other advice/knowledge would be great guys.

dan
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Caruso View Post
my big issue is low light.
The XHA1 will always be noisey in low light. There is no fix for it apart from adding more light.
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

yeah thanks dennis, i think i have to change some of my expectations with the cam. although i do believe there is clearer results from the a1 than what i am producing. thanks for the comment.

dan
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
The XHA1 will always be noisey in low light. There is no fix for it apart from adding more light.
That's not entirely the case. There has been a lot of success changing Coring to +9 or moving NR2 to High in the custom presets to reduce noise in low light situations.

The picture ends up a bit softer, but there is a lot less noise. You might try creating a preset with one or the other setting. Don't try both together, though. The picture will be much too soft.

Some folks have posted custom presets on this and other forums specifically for shooting in low light situations. Maybe do a search for Coring 9.
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel D. Van Someren View Post
That's not entirely the case.
I've tried the different low light settings, and I've found that their results have been negligable.
The XHA1 is just not a good low light camcorder. If people are needing to shoot lots of stuff in low light, the XHA1 is a bad choice in my opinion. Other than that, I think it's a fantabulous camera.
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #10
Major Player

I've had pretty good results as have a few others. Of course, I try to keep my gain at -3 or +6 max. I wonder if perhaps cameras vary with production runs because there are some that just can't get rid of the noise while others see to be able to reduce it considerably.
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #11
Regular Crew

thats a good point too, because i know with various CPs people have achieved good night shots. im more so refering to this video someone made. it is a good benchmark for night footage to which i have not been able to get yet. though i need some more practice for sure.

http://www.joesimonproductions.com/s...t/downtown.mov

dan
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #12
Major Player

Keep in mind that some people use plug-ins in post to clean up noise as well.
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #13
Tourist

Not all editing programs handle the progressives, so check before you shoot. 24P will allow more light to saturate the CCD, with the shutter set @48. Gain fixed, no more than +6. ideally 0 dB. You can pull the near blacks down with CP, that should minimize the noise in the dark areas.
John D. Bujnowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #14
Wrangler

"Low light" is subjective, relative, and situational, as are "too much grain" and "poor performance." It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish, and the expectation for the final product. Know your tools and their limitations, and work from there.
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #15
New Boot

I'm with Don on this one. I never have the gain above +3dB, but I've never shot low-lit footage that I thought was too noisy on this camera. Maybe I'm not as neurotic about it.
Nic MacDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders