Playing With Stutter Speed/ F-Stop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 29th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Playing With Stutter Speed/ F-Stop

Hello...

I have normally shot things in automatic, other than audio. Yes, I know I should not. I am trying to get myself off of this crutch and have been adjusting the f-stop and shutter speed by myself.

Now my question is, is it OK to keep on changing and adjusting the shutter and f-stop, or when in a specific location, just choose one shutter speed and only adjust the f-stop? If so what speed do people recommend for an indoor or outdoor environment?

Thanks
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #2
Major Player

ppl say the sweet spot for the appature is 4 -5.6 try to keep it in those limits.

normal shutter is 1/60 for 60i and 30f 1/48 for 24f.

Search the forum for "shutter, what is your preference" It may give you some insight about the shutter speeds and their affects on footage.

I am new with the xha1 and went with "manual" from the beginning.

hope this helps ya get started.

btw, once the record button is pressed, I only touch the rings.....iris ring only if i have to. That's just me.....many folks with lots of experience here. take the time to search.
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Daniel, generaly I set my shutter and leave it, 1/50 for 50i and 1/50 for 25p. sometimes i go to 1/25 for 25p as it gives more light.(1/60 and 1/48 for non pal)
TV mode is handy as you can set your shutter speed and then just press the auto exposure button to give a ball park setting for the exposure or you can use the appature ring.
I use this method for run gun stuff as you cant have zebras and peaking on at the same time..DOH! and i need the peaking for focus.
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fessak View Post
...is it OK to keep on changing and adjusting the shutter and f-stop, or when in a specific location, just choose one shutter speed and only adjust the f-stop? If so what speed do people recommend for an indoor or outdoor environment?
Well, sorta. You don't want to "ride" the iris or the shutter speed. Changing the shutter speed whilst recording action you want to use will result in a very noticeable change in the image that you'll want to avoid. Subtle adjustments to the iris can be undetectable by the viewer, but you need a gentle touch.

I generally set up for the shots I expect to get and then adjust the iris as necessary. In particular, I watch the zebras and quickly adjust to keep from blowing out the shot. My personal view is I'd rather make a quick move with the iris to keep from blowing out the image than let it blow out and reel it in slowly.

Shutter speed is a bit more complex, I think. It effects how the shot looks more than the iris. For example, when the light allows I shoot motorsports at 1/500 because it gives a crispness to the action that I like. Does that make it the right way? No. It's just one way. Speed, Fox and ESPN, will often use a fast shutter. But they'll also shoot at something near 1/60 as well.

My point is that there's no single right answer, although there are many wrong ones. My suggestion is that you practice shooting with different settings and see what works for you. After all, the first person you have to please is yourself. If it's wrong, you'll know it.

HTH.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I remember reading once that its good to set your shutter speed divisible by your frame rate (i.e. 24f - 1/48, 1/72, 1/96 or for 30f – 1/60, 1/90, 1/120). Any benefit in that?

Sean
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Malone View Post
I remember reading once that its good to set your shutter speed divisible by your frame rate
I don't know where that originated, but for me its axiomatic when shooting interlaced. If I'm shooting 30i that means 60 fields so I want the shutter at 1/60. For progressive, I never really worried about it. At 30p, I will often drop the shutter to 1/30 in really low light. Same with 24p. If you shoot 30i at 1/30 you'll get a brain damaged version of 30p. Well, not really but it will look somewhat progressive.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders