Wireless mic systems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 30th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Wireless mic systems

Any advice on wireless microphone systems suitable for location shooting (quiet generally) with presenter up to perhaps 10mtr from camera.

Everywhere I look it's Sennheiser, do others make them?

Cost is a big consideration too as it wouldn't be used very oftem but often enough to make hiring a no no
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

sennheiser, audio technica, lectrosonics, sony...they all make units but they're all around the same price except for Lectro. Much more money.
Sennheiser and AT1800 single channel are about the same money and equal in quality.

Pays your money, takes your choice

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Don, I just wasn't sure what was available and didn't know if Sennheiser was the holy grail of wireless mics or not as they appear to be the only ones I ever see advertised!
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Younger View Post
Thanks Don, I just wasn't sure what was available and didn't know if Sennheiser was the holy grail of wireless mics or not as they appear to be the only ones I ever see advertised!
They offer great performance for the price. The Lectros are better, but at 4-6 times the cost, they BETTER be! I went for the Senn. G2s, but got Countryman mics, and couldn't be happier.
Old February 1st, 2009, 08:12 AM   #5
Wrangler

Be aware that changes in use of radio frequency spectrum rules due to take effect this month (part of the Digital TV conversion) will result in some frequencies previously used for wireless mics (i.e., the "700 mHz" bands) being used by other communications services. While the reputable US sources no longer sell microphones on these channels, you may be able to find microphones configured for these bands at fire sale prices, possibly being unloaded by current owners. How much of a problem this will be I do not know, but it is something to watch out.
Old February 1st, 2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Also be aware that "Legal Frequencies" in the USA are different to those in the UK & EU, so purchase equipment manufactured for use in the UK market.

Paul
Paul W. Hazeltine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 06:23 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The Sony UWP-C1 is a great choice, provided it is the cheapest and high quality.

Works great on 2 small AAA battery for hours, easy 300 feet in open air, very light.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:33 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul W. Hazeltine View Post
Also be aware that "Legal Frequencies" in the USA are different to those in the UK & EU, so purchase equipment manufactured for use in the UK market.

Paul
That's a good point, in fact despite the cheaper prices in the USA I have been caught a couple of times with warranty issues and other such things when buying direct from the states so when I am shopping around these days I tend to go for the EU & home market.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:50 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Wireless

I've been using Sens at work, and Samson Micro's. I prefer the micros (airline)
They work, offer use of mic on the sender itself and have phantom power built in to power a number of other mics available for the unit. At 300 bucks you can't go wrong.
Wayne Dupuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Those in the UK may wish to read this article from the BBC regarding proposed changes to the UK airwaves at BBC NEWS | Technology | Ofcom u-turn on digital dividend

Paul W. H
Paul W. Hazeltine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #11
Major Player

Great info guys - I'm planning to bring my Seinnheiser G2 lavs from the UK to the US in a couple of months time. Will they work in the US?
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #12
Trustee

While I don't knowing the legalities of importing and using such gear, you can look up the frequencies available in the area you plan to work at : Find Available Frequencies and see if the freqs on your units are compatable with what's there.../Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; February 5th, 2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: clarification
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
While I don't knowing the legalities of importing and using such gear, you can look up the frequencies available in the area you plan to work at : Find Available Frequencies and see if the freqs on your units are compatable with what's there.../Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Thanks, much appreciated - will check it out!
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #14
Major Player

We've been using the Samson Airline wireless lapel mic, transmitter and receiver. It was pretty inexpensive (less than $200 I'm sure) and we've been very happy with it. Of course, we'll probably step up into something better later. But this works for now.

Sample videos:

CoverCraft SeatSaver Seat Cover Install - StylinTrucks.com By Will Mahoney On ExposureRoom

Fitch Fuel Catalyst By Will Mahoney On ExposureRoom
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders