Capturing true color. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Capturing true color.

Hello everyone, I'm having a hard time getting my A1 to show the actual shade of purple. I am shooting some shots that contain purple objects and they are coming out blue. Every other colors are very true. I have tried everything I know to get the colors of the purple to match. I have used white balance card, other cards but still coming out blue. Pls help, i did a wedding the colors were purple but now it is blue. thx
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Trustee

May I suggest the fix is probably to color balance in post, as capturing exactly accurate color or exposure in the field is nearly impossible. Just as we color balance still images in Photoshop, we tweak our color as needed in Final Cut, where there are numerous tools for this purpose...my two cents....//Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiflom Bahta View Post
Hello everyone, I'm having a hard time getting my A1 to show the actual shade of purple. ... Pls help, i did a wedding the colors were purple but now it is blue. thx
If you're looking at the LCD on the A1, you may find that after footage is captured certain shades of purple are actually closer to what they should be. At least that's what I've found. Still very odd though.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Kiflom,

you can try Wolfgang's presets:
Wolfgang's HD Blog - Presets für die Canon XH A1
(if memory serves me well, the purple-magenta-blue problem
is the main thing that he tried to fix - plus coming up
with presets for +6dB and +12dB).
Yes, Wolfgang is in PAL-land, but you never know...:
his presets might work for you as well.

Best

Vasco
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM   #5
Major Player

I think the main problem is the color purple.It is hard to capture with any camera some camera do it perfect but the A1 way too off. I will try to avoid it in the future but iam stuck now.How do you guys suggest fixing it in the post.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
I think the main problem is the color purple.It is hard to capture with any camera some camera do it perfect but the A1 way too off. I will try to avoid it in the future but iam stuck now.How do you guys suggest fixing it in the post.
The A1 does have a very limited color space, that's for sure.

You didn't specify your NLE.

In most NLEs, start the primary color corrector on the clip. Using the mid color wheel (to start, then low) click on adjustment color and click the blue/purple you want to correct. Manually move the adjustment wheel towards purple. This should help, but may whack out similar colors.

There may be other color space issues, but this is a start.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:53 PM   #7
Major Player

Blue rather then dark purple. - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

A good read on what's the deal with purple. I had the same concerns too. Finally just said "forget it"...lol.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:13 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Randy.The problem is very wide, It is odd nobody came up with a answer or solution.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:26 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks Randy.The problem is very wide, It is odd nobody came up with a answer or solution.
Read the above post.

My "other color space issues" comment means post edit, not during capture. The purple capture by low color space cams like the XH-A1 is well known to be a problem.

However, every TV set will of course easily display purple.
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Major Player

I use adobe cs3 and cs4. I tried change color options but still can't seem to pull it. Does any body have any other tricks on how to capture the color purple. thx
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders