7 second clips breaks in really long clips Help!!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #1
New Boot

7 second clips breaks in really long clips Help!!!!

I shoot weddings (among other things) for my business and I ingest about 10 to 14 tapes each wedding. 3 camera shoot. I have been having 7 or 8 second clip breaks upon ingest. So, a one hour, uninterrupted recording gets broken into several clips in Final Cut Pro. Let me stress (cause I'm pretty stressed :-) that this is not timecode breaks. It is a whole clip break. One long 60 minute recording gets broken up into several clips for no reason and the gap between them in FCP is about 7 seconds of missing footage.

My set up is 2 Canon XHA1's over firewire to 2008 8 core Mac, 14 gigs ram, four internal drives (about 3TB) I capture to 1.5 TB drive (internal) that is used only for capture. It happens on any of the drives. FCP 6 (all system and software updates are made).

The footage plays back just fine in the camera. The broken areas of the footage can recapture just fine, even in Capture Magic (which stops for nothing). So it is not damaged tape or dirty heads (just had them serviced). It seems like the system gets overloaded somehow (which it shouldn't) let's say it "farts" or something..... and drops 7 seconds upon capture and starts a new clip. I have lived with this problem for a long time and editing (multicam) takes FORVER as I have to constantly resync the media at every break. The breaks are random. Clips from a one hour recording can 2 minutes long or 10 minutes. What is really funny is that the ceremony has the least breaks...... go figure that out????

Sorry to be long winded. Trying to be accurate cause there are so many variables in this subject. Honestly I know this forum is filled with so many helpful people but I am at such a wits end (backed up with editing because of this problem) I would happily send a PayPal payment to anyone who posts something that solves the problem. Oh yes I will!!!! I don't want to insult the natural helpfulness of this forum. I just want to really honor the person that gets me out of this jail I am in!!!! Can you tell I am stressed?

Thank you sooo much for all of your helpful input!
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Major Player

I've seen your problem from a number of different causes:

*Boot drive (not capture drive) with less than 20 percent free space;
*Trying to capture through a firewire hub;
*Different firewire devices daisy-chained on the same port;
*Bad cables;
*... and of course, bad mojo....
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders