End of my rope... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 18th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #1
New Boot

End of my rope...

I don't know what to do.

A year ago, in October, I purchased an XH-A1. I love this camera. I've never had one before, and it is simply amazing. However, it is less than perfect.

Not long after I had it, I noticed when shooting against the sky, that a small yellow dot can be seen in the lower right hand corner. It's only visible at the smaller apertures, and against a contrasting blue sky or other, but it sticks out like a sore thumb, and can be seen on the LCD viewer.

I have sent the camera in 4 times for repair since I bought it, detailing the problem along with providing screenshots of the yellow dot. Each time it was returned to me with a note saying it was recalibrated and cleaned, but when I went to test the camera, the problem is still there.

The last time I sent it in for repair was last October, and now it is out of warranty. I spoke with a canon support person tonight, and he only offered me the same thing every other representative has offered me. I hung up. I have lost faith in Canon's repair facility because they have proven to me that they cannot repair my camera, and don't understand the problem.

I really want to get into film making, and I've spent a lot of money on this camera, and it should be perfect. I'm upset, and I really don't know what else to do.

Sorry, for venting on here, but I could really use some helpful advice.

Thanks for the community.

Zack
Zack Whittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Try talking to a supervisor instead, tell him that you have sent it in 4 times with no result, don't talk to any normal tech anymore.
Old February 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Talk but also write a letter to the president of Canon USA detailling your efforts and the failling of sevice to resolve the problem, 4 times.
Old February 18th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Go Cycle

Where is your retailer in all of this?

I am speaking from experience. Your retailer's sales rep. should have RA'd this camera after the second attempt and FAILURE to fix the problem.

It's done ALL the time but requires effort on your retailers part and communication between the sales rep. and Canon.
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #5
Major Player

Maybe it is just a lens flare that even the president of the USA can not do anything about...

Can you show a sample?
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #6
Major Player

I don't know about the USA but in the UK it is the retailer that you have a contract with to supply you with goods fit for the purpose. Clearly this camera isn't meeting that simple demand.

Again in the UK it would be custom to formally (in writing) reject the camera and although not necessary I would always reject it by a letter to the shop manager, his managing director at there head office and a further letter to Canon's CEO in case it is something Canon are aware or - or not - as the case maybe.

after four attempts at repair I have to admire your patience - in a country that allows individuals to own guns, I don't think I would be as patient :-) I think I would have re-created my own scene from a 1950's Western and rode into the store on horseback firing all six rounds of my Smith & Weston into the air!
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #7
Major Player

would like to see a screen shot. I had a dead pixel problem, and after one or two failed visits to Canon, they simply replaced the sensor block.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Sounds like a dead pixel on the blue CCD. I'd be very surprised if Canon didn't help you out on this one. The key is - as was mentioned earlier - don;t talk to the techs anymore. Elevate your concerns to the next level.
Old February 20th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Whittington View Post
I have sent the camera in 4 times for repair since I bought it...
Which Canon USA service center did you send it to -- the one in Jamesburg, NJ or the one in Irvine, CA? Whichever one you used, try the other one.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Whittington View Post
Not long after I had it, I noticed when shooting against the sky, that a small yellow dot can be seen in the lower right hand corner.
I had exactly the same problem, 3 dots were visible and only against a blue sky. I noticed them after I was capturing and it had ruined more then one shot. I checked my camera again and then I saw the spots, again only visible against a blue sky, cleaning my lens didn't help. I send my camera to Canon together with some footage that I shot at the event and the camera came back with the message that they checked and that the camera was OK... meaning they couldn't find anything.

Strange thing was afterwards I had to wait until the weather cleared up to get a blue sky again and there were no spots anymore. I know for sure that as soon as I would notice them again i will send the camera back in again and if they can't find anything and if it's still there when I get the camera I will drive to Canon's repair centre personally to show the problem to whoever is responsible.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:48 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
It's only visible at the smaller apertures, and against a contrasting blue sky or other, but it sticks out like a sore thumb, and can be seen on the LCD viewer.
Is it present in both HDV and SD modes?
What do you mean by "other"?
Can you post a frame grab showing the problem?
That it is aperture dependent (as opposed to brightness) is interesting. Make me think it is not a dead pixel..
Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:48 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Which Canon USA service center did you send it to -- the one in Jamesburg, NJ or the one in Irvine, CA? Whichever one you used, try the other one.
Good luck with Irvine, I live a few minutes from there and have dealt with them over several issues regarding my DSLR stuff. It seems as if Tech Support, regardless of the product or company and Canon included, has gone south in a big way.
Look at the bright side, you could be calling for tech support for a product made and sold in the USA but reach a man in India whose english...well never mind the rant as I am sure my point was made. Good luck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders