Batch Capturing from XH A1 into FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 25th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #1
New Boot

Batch Capturing from XH A1 into FCP

Does anyone in this forum batch capture from a XH A1 into FCP?

I always use the 'capture now' mode in FCP, but I'm having difficulties capturing a specific tape. Someone suggested that I try batch capturing, however that option is greyed-out within FCP and I'm not sure why.

I have tried every potential solution that I've come across and still nothing. Anyone?
Old February 25th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Major Player

I use log and capture and it works fine. What is the exact problem that you are facing?
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Contributor

I batch capture with no problem, XH A1, FCP 6.0.5 on a Macbook pro Intel. Could be something wrong with your specific tape, and the capture now option is a good thing to try. I don't know why it would be grayed out. You might bail out of capture mode, then go back in and see what happens.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Jonathan and Bill for replying.

I was using the 'capture now' feature to capture one specific tape. It would make FCP crash every single time the capture was complete and all the frames had been acquired, or whatever phrasing FCP uses to indicate that capture is done. However, some clips DID import, but there was no pattern that I could identify that explained why some clips imported and others didn't.

It's certainly possible that there is something wrong with the tape, but I can watch the entire tape on my tv (using the camera as a player) and there isn't a single skip, weird audio, or anomaly that I can see which points to a defective tape.

If I looked inside my 'Capture Scratch' folder I would find a text document (anywhere between 1 to 7GBs, which clearly was supposed to be a video file. A friend told me this was because the project wasn't saved between the time it captured and the time it crashed. Makes sense because it always crashes before you get a chance to do anything.

I've tried trashing my preferences, restarting FCP, turning my camera on and off, restarting the computer, opening a fresh new project to capture this tape, ensuring that all sequence settings, framerates, audio settings, matched the tape but nothing helped.

Recently someone recommended using 'batch capture' to see if this would address the difficulties I've been having which is when I realized that I couldn't access that option. I have tried every capture preset available to me within FCP and yet nothing seems to work.

Jonathan, I use log and capture all the time and it's always worked for me until this tape.

Bill, can you tell me what capture preset setting you're using?

Thanks again.
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #5
Trustee

If all else fails, you might output from the dv connection as downsampled standard def; you lose something from HDV to be sure, but if it's a matter of sd vs. nothing, might be worth a try. You would need an av to dv converter to then input into fcp.

FWIW I have never had any luck with batch capture but capture now has never failed me...must be a timecode break somewhere in the tape? Dirty heads? Can you borrow another camera or playback deck and see if it works with that? /Battle Vaughan /miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Major Player

what are your capture settings in FCP?
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Actually I have had a similar issue maybe...
Go to user prefs and see what the settings are for capture and whether you have any of the boxes ticked that say abort on dropped frames etc etc and also set the section on timecode break to "warn on timecode break"

Hope it works

Jon
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #8
Major Player

Alain,
when you initialize log and capture (command F8), what are your capture settings? Look at the tab at the top of the capture window. If it's set for "non-controllable device" you can't batch capture. You can however, "capture now".
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #9
New Boot

Have you rebuilt your disk permissions latley? Sometimes that can clear up little bugs like this.

Also check your capture settings. If you capture with Pro res it will just capture the whole tape automatically. Might be a good alternative to capture now. Batch capture is mainly used when you go through the tape first and log clips. Then when your done, you can batch capture and it grabs just those clips. If you have no clips, you don't have anything to batch capture, it will be greyed out.
Ian Lautsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #10
New Boot

My apologies to everyone for having abandoned this post the last few days. I've been knocked out with a serious flu, but I will return to this thread in the next day or two with some new info, and possibly another question or two.

Thank you all for contributing to the discussion! This is very helpful!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders