Wide Angle Adapter & Focal Distance Readout? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 27th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wide Angle Adapter & Focal Distance Readout?

I assume having the WD-H72 wide angle adapter screwed on to the end of my lens will nullify the accuracy of the focal distance readout on the A1's LCD monitor? If so, how far will it throw it out of whack? Should I disregard the focal distance readout altogether when the wide angle adapter is on? Can someone who knows for sure please shed some light on this subject. Thanks!

Last edited by Gabe Spangler; February 27th, 2009 at 06:14 AM. Reason: spelling error
Gabe Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Major Player

It blocks the little infrared doohickey on the right front side of the camera that measures distance.
I bought one and had to put it on the bench till I can get a monitor to focus better. I can't focus that great with the little LCD, and without the auto focus, so until I get a little monitor for the field, that wide angle adaptor doesn't work for me. I guess you may be able to do it the old fashioned way and use a tape measure to the subject and focus that way. Someone out there may do it that way.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Trustee

So does anyone know where the focal plane on the XH-A1 is exactly? When I were a lad, cameras had a mark on the body so you could measure focus accurately.

To address to original question, peaking on the corner of the picture frame opposite me right now reads 8.2ft without the Canon W/A adaptor and 10ft with it. My measuring tape says 257cm (8ft 5in) but I don't knw where I'm measuring to on the camera.

Last edited by Colin McDonald; February 27th, 2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Added measurements
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Hmmm, so it could be somewhere besides the front of the lenses.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Bill, the infrared sensor is only for the instant auto focus and has nothing to do with manual focusing.

I did a little testing myself, and the WD-H72 does throw the distance readout out of whack by a factor of .75, the same as the widening factor of the adapter.

I focused on an object 2.4 feet away and the readout read 3.2 feet. I also focused on an object 5.6 feet away and the readout read 7.5 feet.

Of course this makes total sense, but it's too bad Canon doesn't make a menu option to convert the focal distance range for wide angle adapter on or off. It's a simple conversion, all you have to do is multiply the focal distance number by .75 to get the true range with the WD-H72 on.

Makes follow focusing and planning camera moves a little more difficult, but who said life was easy, right?

Last edited by Gabe Spangler; February 27th, 2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Gabe Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Spangler View Post
... it's too bad Canon doesn't make a menu option to convert the focal distance range for wide angle adapter on or off.
Fully agreed -- this should have been an option under Custom Functions.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:56 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Thesken View Post
It blocks the little infrared doohickey on the right front side of the camera that measures distance.
I bought one and had to put it on the bench till I can get a monitor to focus better. I can't focus that great with the little LCD, and without the auto focus, so until I get a little monitor for the field, that wide angle adaptor doesn't work for me. I guess you may be able to do it the old fashioned way and use a tape measure to the subject and focus that way. Someone out there may do it that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Spangler
Bill, the infrared sensor is only for the instant auto focus and has nothing to do with manual focusing.
Don't forget that there are two auto-focus modes. "Instant" AF used the infra-red range-finder that the WD72 masks. "Normal" AF just looks for edges on the image, and will work fine when the range-finder is obscured. You can switch between the two in the menu.
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks, Mark. But I'm talking about manual focus, not auto focus. I know normal auto focus will work when the infrared sensor is obscured. I got to the bottom of the issue if you see my previous posts. I think we can put this one to bed.....
Gabe Spangler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders