LCD Display at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 1st, 2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Major Player

LCD Display

Do any of you know if you can change the LCD to display the full frame being recorder like the All Scan mode on the Sony Cam's? I find it really annoying having to slightly crop a shot due to something being the frame that I couldn't see on either the EVF or the LCD.

Cheers

Jon
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Contributor

It is what it is. There's no underscan, unfortunately.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Same way with my 50D. I used to zoom in to get certain objects just out of the frame...then after taking the photo I see that I got a little more than excpected. I suppose the live view would fix that...but as for the XH-A1...

even though the OP question has been answered...I was wondering what is the reason for this?

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Contributor

What I did when I first got the camera was set it up, full wide angle and focused on some tiles about 10 feet away, with a cable going out to a monitor with underscan. Then I could see exactly how much was being cropped. Fortunately it's not as much as you might think, but enough so you could have a shotgun mic dipping into the shot if the soundman is careless. I don't why Canon cameras have always avoided accurate monitoring. Doesn't seem all that difficult.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Major Player

I know it seams like such a basic function and is very frustrating for exactly that reason. I do love my A1 but I do find the LCD very average and even the evf isn't great. I reckon this would have been a serious deal breaker if they had upgraded these on the A1s.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders