SM3 mount broken on first use - how to fix? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

SM3 mount broken on first use - how to fix?

Not sure if this is in the right place but I'm an XHA1s user!

Has anyone ever come across this before? Used the mount with an NTG2 microphone fitted with the deluxe windshield - only purchased and this was its first use. The hot shoe adaptor parted company with the shock mount (see attached photo) after a couple of hours.

Looking at the photos, am I missing anything that I need to fix it or should I just use a drop of glue?!

Jonathan
Attached Thumbnails
SM3 mount broken on first use - how to fix?-holder-large.jpg  
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Major Player

The SM3 seems rather fragile. I bought one recently and found that the plastic around the swivel joint was broken when I took it out of the bag! I've written to the retailer but not had a reply yet (must chase them up). I think it's cheap for a reason...

(I guess this thread probably belongs in the Audio forum, but I probably wouldn't have seen it there...)
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Major Player

looks like a job for JB-Weld
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Trustee

Looks to me as if the metal screw that holds it together may have come out or the socket it goes into has become stripped.

I would contact Rode - I had two SM3s replaced free. Both broke around the swivel joint. (I had asked Rode if they did spares for it and they offered a replacement after I filled in a form).

Last edited by Colin McDonald; March 3rd, 2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: More details
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

1 screw loose

The small metal plate inside the bottom of the top half ( behind the 4 small holes ) is threaded to accept a small screw. The screw must have fallen out. You should be able to replace the screw - I'd agree to call Rode & let them replace it or at least send parts.
Darin Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #6
New Boot

yes, they're cheaply made

mine broke too, because a friend was messing with it. The plastic at the swivel broke. I tried gluing it with some epoxy to no avail. Finally, I emailed Rode and they sent me a new one. Now I'm very careful with it and don't hand it to idiots.
Zack Whittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #7
Major Player

i took a mic stand and sawed off a 6 inch piece, used pipe insulating foam to cover the pipe the length of the shockmount, then drilled holes for a bolt that actually threads into the rode shockmount. the shockmount is seated on the foam (for better insulation against vibrations), and i wrapped electrical tape around the remaining pipe so it fits perfectly in the XH-A1 mic holder and capped it with a wine cork. i think it is more solid than the hot shoe.
Attached Thumbnails
SM3 mount broken on first use - how to fix?-mic-2.jpg   SM3 mount broken on first use - how to fix?-mic1.jpg  

Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders