Exporting to HDV on A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 5th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #1
New Boot

Exporting to HDV on A1

Hi All,

I need to Print to tape on my A1 and have no idea how to do that. I don't have a deck for DVCAM, but was wondering what the process is to export to an HDV tape in the camera. It might seem simple, but can someone walk me through it. Can I just do it through firewire? What setting do I need to put my camera on? I'm using Final Cut pro by the way.

Thanks
Mike
Michael Malagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Switch your Canon into the VCR mode and put it into the record/pause mode. Plug in the firewire and start to play the timeline. You should see the film play on the cam's screen and hear the audio through the tiny speaker. Back to the start of the timeline. Drop out of pause and set the timeline playing. Done.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for your quick reply. How do I get it into play/pause mode while in VCR mode? when I hit record, nothing happens. Are there settings in final cut that need to be changed?
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Inner Circle

FCP is simply playing your timeline - no settings to be changed there. The camcorder is now switched to being a VCR. You're not hitting the record button as if it were a camera, are you? Do you not have an instruction book?
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Trustee

Open the menu in vcr mode, select signal setup, select timecode menu (select copy to keep the original timecode). Select hdv/dv in, select setting option, close menu. Connect the camera to your source, set power dial to vcr, press the record button (located under the door on top of the carry handle), start your timeline playback, should be ok. /Battle Vaughan /miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Major Player

And remember to always have the camera powered off when connecting or disconnecting firewire.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks for all of your help. Greatly Appreciated.
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:29 AM   #8
Major Player

i had some problems printing to tape with FCPS2 and XH-A1...
here's the thread with info i found. i think i followed some order of the instructions and it finally worked...

XH-A1 FCPS2: can't print to video HDV - The Digital Video Information Network
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders