DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   What Camera should I buy? Canon XHA1 or Panasonic HVX200 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/145646-what-camera-should-i-buy-canon-xha1-panasonic-hvx200.html)

Tripp Woelfel March 17th, 2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Hooey (Post 1029422)
With the XHA1 (possibly fixed in the XHA1s), you cannot control BOTH zoom and focus at the same time as they seem to run off a single servo.

This was fixed on the XH A1s.

Bill Pryor March 20th, 2009 01:36 PM

Instead of marks on the outside of the lens, you get a distance readout in the viewfinder and LCD accurate to 1/10 of a foot. That's better than marks on a manual lens because you can shift focus yourself without an assistant.

Steve Lewis March 20th, 2009 04:53 PM

I own an XHA1 and I say: Go with the Pany! If for no other reason than avoiding HDV and getting to shoot on DVCPROHD.

James Hooey March 21st, 2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 1030881)
Instead of marks on the outside of the lens, you get a distance readout in the viewfinder and LCD accurate to 1/10 of a foot. That's better than marks on a manual lens because you can shift focus yourself without an assistant.

Mmm...I'd rather have BOTH lense markings and LCD information. With a servo it limits repeatable ways to rack zoom/focus (apart from the Position Presets which is very mechanical and limiting). It's not a major limitation by any means but it is a consideration and can be improved on with a true manual lens....with the tradeoff of increased price of course.

Sam Hendi March 27th, 2009 01:30 PM

Thank you for the help guys, it has helped me a lot in making my decision.

Im putting my Camera on sale on ebay tomorrow and will be looking to purchase my Canon XHA1 next week.

If anyone is interested in a Sony HVR-V1E please let me know.

Thanks again.
Sam

Dom Stevenson April 1st, 2009 04:24 AM

I agree with the poster who said that the options you're looking at are "sideways steps".

It's a shame you feel you need to keep using tape, because there are better options out there IMO. The HMC151 is an excellent camera and does not use HDV or P2. Then there's the EX1.
Perhaps you should get your hands on an XHA1 to see if it is indeed superior to your current camera.
I write as a happy XHA1 owner, who's decided to go tapeless at the first opportunity, and i'm looking at the HMC, EX1 or even the new JVC.

I will not be buying another HDV camera. It was great in it's time - and it's price point - but has been superseded by superior formats.

To top it all, the XHA1 is actually more expensive than the HMC, in the UK at least.

Of course, if you need to stick with tape, the A1 is probably the best bet.

Tom Hardwick April 1st, 2009 04:33 AM

Prices are on the rise Dom. I've just learn that the 151 is going up by £400 from today, so I presume Panasonic are doing this because Sony and Canon have upped their prices too. I'm sure it's just exchange rates at play.

Dom Stevenson April 1st, 2009 04:39 AM

You're right Tom. When I was looking at the HMC last week the retailer pointed this out to me. It's all to do with the Pound/Yen etc.

I think I'll have to do another gig with my XHA1 before i can justify the change. Perhaps Canon will have something new by then.

Tom Hardwick April 1st, 2009 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson (Post 1039098)
I will not be buying another HDV camera. It was great in it's time - and it's price point - but has been superseded by superior formats.

Such is progress. You shouldn't be looking at the 151 either if you believe the hype, as 1"/3 chips are ludicrously small. Canon do have a 1.6x CMOS (used in the 50D and so on), so it would make sense for them to utilise this in their next Red-bustin' camcorder.

But as I've just said in another post, I often like to finish a firework display at the end of a wedding film by putting the last and biggest firework into my variable slo-mo program. The rocket tales off at normal speed but slows gracefully to a still frame at its peak before I fade to black. You won't be doing that with a CMOS chip.

tom.

Jeremy Naus April 1st, 2009 07:01 AM

I have the XHA1 and while I love the camera I'm looking into tapeless recording.
The only thing in the same price range as the XHA1 is the upcoming Scarlet fixed lens.
Since I don't need a new camera soon I'll wait until Scarlet comes.
From all I've seen at the moment it will blow away the XHA1.

Sam Hendi April 1st, 2009 09:15 AM

Is there a difference between the Canon Xha1 and the Canon Xha1s???
Which would you say is better?

Tom Hardwick April 1st, 2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Hendi (Post 1040004)
Is there a difference between the Canon Xha1 and the Canon Xha1s???
Which would you say is better?

Yes Sam, and much has been written here. It'll only take you a monment to find the differences using the search box.

Neil G. Randall April 10th, 2009 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Lewis (Post 1030980)
I own an XHA1 and I say: Go with the Pany! If for no other reason than avoiding HDV and getting to shoot on DVCPROHD.

I shot on DVCPRO50, and as a word of warning, it doesn't integrate with Vegas, which I think Sam mooted. AFAIK, the same applies to the HD100, as well. Fine with FCP, no play with Vegas or Premier (to my knowledge).

Raylight is a fix but I've never used it.

Roger Shealy April 11th, 2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Estcourt (Post 1028876)
Yep Im a Vegas user as well.
Capture from XH-A1 into HDlink then edit in vegas 8.
No issues with cineform and vegas works with native hdv with no issues either.

John,

Why use HDlink to capture instead of just going straight into Vegas?

Kevin Sawicki April 11th, 2009 10:24 PM

I'd recommend the XH-A1.
This is the video that convinced me - Letus Extreme and Canon XHA1 - First tests on Vimeo

I chose the XH-A1 over any sony camera simply because I hate all Sony products.
Just personal preference.
Horrible tech support, warranties, and products.
Everything is either too complicated, DRMed, or too weak.

It also came down to backup tapes and price.
I wanted a nice HD camera, and the HVX200 looked amazing, but at the time (6 months ago) it was more expensive and the cards are still at a ridiculous price.

If you want a good strong camera with tapes, go with the XH-A1.
It's an amazing piece of technology.
-Kevin