Difference between XL H1 and XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 18th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Difference between XL H1 and XH A1

Ok, I have the Canon XL 2 standard def camera now and I love it and I would love to buy the XL H1 (looks just like the XL2 but is black and is hd), but I can't afford it right now since it's still floating in the $7000 range.

So what is the main difference between the XL H1 hd and the XH A1 other than where everything is located and configuration? What will I be missing from the XL H1 that the XH doesnt have?

And I really love the "Black Press" with my XL 2, does the XH A1 have this?

Please inform. Thanks
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Tech specs are essentially the same between the 2 cameras.

The XL's main difference is the open architecture. It is capable of producing significantly higher quality footage if such is taken advantage of (interchangeable lenses, HD-SDI RAW capture, etc.). These are not possible with the XH A1.

But that's not to say the stock cameras aren't good, they produce fantastic results. Hvae you considered the XL H1A, which you can get for under $6000? I'd recommend that over the original XL H1, unless you need the Jack Pack.

But if you are considering the XH A1, then it looks like you don't.

And both have Black Press. These cameras have significantly more adjustability of the image than the XL2.

Hope this helps.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Winn View Post
I would love to buy the XL H1...
The XL H1 is no longer available new; neither is the XH A1. Both camcorders have since been replaced by newer models, so what you're really looking at is the XL H1A (under $6000) vs. the XH A1S (under $4,000).

See the product page for the XL H1A: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=17061
And the product page for the XH A1S: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=17885

They are pretty much exactly the same in every respect except for the obvious difference in form factor: the XL H1A is a larger shoulder-mount camera with several interchangeable components, while the XH A1S is a bit smaller, all-in-one camcorder. There are a few other, minor differences in the layout of switches and buttons, etc., but otherwise it's a matter of choosing the XL body or the XH body. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Well actually both the original H1 and A1 are still available new at B&H as of today, if you are interested in one of the old models.

Although i'd seriously consider the newer models for their refinements.
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Well, not for long, and anyway I can't recommend either one of the older cameras over the newer ones...

The older XL H1 is actually more expensive than the newer XL H1A, and its only advantage is SDI (without audio), GenLock and TimeCode, which presumably the OP doesn't need; otherwise he would have been asking about the XH G1 instead of the XH A1. So, SDI, etc. aside, the XL H1A is a much better camera than the XL H1 and for a much lower price as well.

Likewise, Canon USA shows the list prices for the XH A1S and XH A1 as identical at just under $4,000. Sure, some dealers will offer the older XH A1 for a bit less money than the XH A1S, but only while inventory holds on the discontinued model. Besides, the A1S is a better camera than the A1 and therefore worth the slightly higher price, if a price difference is found (again, Canon USA shows both models at the same price).

The best way to go is with the A1S, unless the OP feels like he prefers the larger H1A. As far as the older A1 and H1, if you're going to pass up the newer models and get the older ones instead, then why not really save some money and buy them used, preferably from a fellow DVi member.

Old March 18th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #6
Major Player

I agree, definitely go for one of the new models.

I agree so much, that I even posted earlier today about me upgrading to the XL H1S being such a worthwhile upgrade over my original H1

:)
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #7
Major Player

Wow, so much to think about.

removed claims to have the brand new XH-A1s factory sealed for just $2,800, but removed has it for $3,899, and B&H for $3,999.

Should I stay away from any of these sites?

Also, B&H has the XH A1 (Not S) for just $2,999, Is the new model really much different than the (S) one?

Thanks to all!

Just for the record, I don't buy used electronics, it's a mental thing...
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Should I stay away from any of these sites?
The *only* dealers we recommend here are our sponsors (see "where to buy" below).

Check Reseller Ratings for feedback on your other sites.

Old March 19th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #9
Major Player

But is the new model XH A1s really much different than the one without the (S)? Is it worth paying a $1000 more?

And thanks for the resellers ratings link, I will use it;)
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Danny, see these threads:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...vs-xh-a1s.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...1s-xh-g1s.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...-vs-xh-g1.html (A1S vs. A1 will be similar)

Old March 19th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
But is the new model XH A1s really much different than the one without the (S)? Is it worth paying a $1000 more?

And thanks for the resellers ratings link, I will use it;)
I have the old model. From my experience, the old model would be fine to purchase new now if:
1. You only use the camera occasionally
2. You mostly shoot in auto mode.
3. You use the built-in mic exclusively, and don't plan on using pro audio add-ons (such as microphones).
4. And there's no chance you might want to sell it in the first year.

Otherwise, I can say from experience that virtually all of the new features of new XH-A1s will be missed by you, as within a week you will start wondering why they aren't there. The changes are the very things users asked for and really make a difference for prosumer and heavy use.

(As Chris suggests, for the best price I would look at used XH-A1 cameras. This camera holds up well, and I think it is one of the better cameras to buy used if you get from a responsible former user (compared to some cameras that you would only want to get new).

-------------------
Regarding unbelievably low prices: the DVINFO.NET sponsors all offer competitive prices. Any "dealers" offering substatianlly lower prices are making their money in ways that may not be obvious, but one will learn the hard way what they are. B&H is a good guide as to pricing whether you purchase from them or not. B&H is so huge, with so many products, that they don't have the time or inclination to engage in manipulative pricing in my experience. They probably use formulas based on costs, and their online listings have become a universal reference guide, even for other retailers.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #12
Major Player

Yeah, looks like I better bite the bullet and get the newer model as I will use it alot and I will be using my brand new Rode NTG 2 external mic (Which I LOVE) as my main audio source.

Thanks to all for helping me out!
Old March 19th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #13
Contributor

It's always nice to have the upgrade if you can afford the extra $1K, which is what the original cost when it first came out. I have to disagree with Jack, though, that there's any problem in doing daily professional production with the original. I use the camera quite regularly, I never shoot anything in auto mode and I have never used the built-in mic for anything, using normal shotgun and wireless mics for everything.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #14
Trustee

I'm not actually saying the old camera is not usable daily by professional. Rather, I am strongly suggesting that the upgrade features will be used regularly, will be missed (even if you don't know what they are), and in some cases can require workarounds or additional equipment (such as inputting a mic and line source).

In other words, the upgrade addressed what many considered were major short comings in the original camera... though the I consider the original camera "best of breed," and I continue to use mine regularly and will not upgrade, but rather will probably go to a solid state camera (which has some advantages, but won't be the camera the original XH-A1 is).

I agree what Chris suggested, that if buying new, the XH-A1s is the choice, and if one wants to save money, get a used XH-A1 from a reputable seller (and probably get some accessories with it).

There are ways to save money, but I don't think getting a new old model XH-A1 is the best one.

But, the XH-A1 is a great, great camera and continues to perform.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders