How do I record to XHA1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 5th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Major Player

How do I record to XHA1?

I captured my footage to my editing software and instead of outputting to a dvd, I want to out put to a mini DV tape using my XHA1 to record. What setting should my camera be on in order to do this? At any point, do I need to push the record button on the camera?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Your NLE should have a print to tape option - XHA1 needs to be in Play / VCR mode, and it should "just work". Basically, just like capturing, but in reverse...
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Jay:
I tried that but it did'nt work. When I looked into the viewfinder I could see the footage playing back but nothing actually recorded to the tape. Thats why I was wondering if at any point I had to hit the record button on the camera. Any addittional thoughts?
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hmmm... Did you do anything that needs to be rendered? It is my understanding that print to tape has to be in HDV or DV format, and in some cases, the video has to be rendered to tihs format prior to printing. For example, if you do anything more complex than rearranging the video or cutting something out.

That is really the only thing I can think of that would prevent it from working...
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Major Player

its in HDV format. ANyone else have any thoughts?
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Your NLE should have an option to Export to tape. By using this it should have the ability or option to enable Device Control. The Software should start the recording process automatically. If not you might have to do it manually. What NLE are you using?
Howard Churgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #7
Major Player

Howard i'm using Pinnicale 12
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Major Player

Anyone else?
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #9
Major Player

There are a few NLEs that have an Export to tape fuction that doesn't seem to work with the A1. I'm not sure of the reason why, but if you have it in VCR mode and you can see the footage in the viewfinder, pressing record on the A1 should do it.
Old April 7th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #10
Major Player

Hey Kevin, my general consensus is the A1's transport isn't responsive enough (ex: it can't act fast enough to find a preroll point) to allow typical NLE's "print to tape" functions. However, like Marcel said... manually hitting record on the A1 after hitting play on your timeline should work.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders