Canon XH A1s in UK at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 14th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon XH A1s in UK

Hi everyone, I've tried searching for this but it seems no one has discussed it, sorry if it already has.

After much consideration I think I'm going to get a Canon XHA1, I did think about the Sony Z5 but I don't think its work £1000 more than the Canon. I've looked at a few places selling it online but they all seem to be the original A1 not the new A1s.

Does anyone know if the XHA1s is being sold in the UK and if so, where?

Also I wonder if places like Jessops are selling the s version but haven't bothered changing the info on their website, I have emailed them about it and I'l put up their response on here.

Thanks a lot.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi, most places over here should be going over to the "S". I see amazon/simply electronics and a few others have it listed on their UK sites.
Paul Hatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Johnathon try Simply electronics

Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah I noticed them, was a bit worried about some of the reviews people have left, do you think they are a safe company to buy from?
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I got mine from Amazon/Simply E. I had no problems. Simply E. flew it in from Hong Kong.

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd
Ian Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Simply E are safe to buy from in my experience - delivered my A1 within 2 days.

BUT

If you need warranty support, they have to send the camcorder back to Hong Kong (Canon Asia), and it takes along time (9 weeks in my case).

So long as you're aware of that ...
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi there,

I bought mine from a company called AJ electronics and although I've had it a few weeks I am literally going to start playing with it RIGHT NOW!!!! HEE!!! as my cleaning tape hadn't arrived. So as of yet I don't know if it's all in good working order etc. but will obviously report back if it isn't.

They were super helpful and have a London showroom with some friendly staff. Their prices have gone up this month but I think that's the case everywhere as pound sterling is doing very badly. :( I think a bit of haggling would not be out of order (I haggled for mine!) and they are a UK company with UK stock if that helps.

I didn't get mine delivered; i just picked it up next day after requesting it from the shop in near Marylebone so I don't know what their delivery is like.
Ayesha Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Gordon View Post
BUT

If you need warranty support, they have to send the camcorder back to Hong Kong (Canon Asia), and it takes along time (9 weeks in my case).

So long as you're aware of that ...
I had my firewire port repaired under warranty by Canon in London - no charge...

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd
Ian Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for the replies.

Yeah Simple Electronics seem OK just worried about the camera coming from Hong Kong and if that effects the warranty and all that.

AJ electronics sound good too, I might check them out. I really want to see the camera in person before buying so that my be a good option. Its a bit annoying as there is no where in the South West that have prosumer cameras in store but I am traveling up to London soon so I may try to have a look.
Old April 18th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I bought mine from Calumet in London - good service and price. I'm not sure if they have the 's' though
Paul Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Yeah, after looking around and considering the price I think I'll get the older A1 as its £500 cheaper in most places. I like some of the features of the "s" version but I don't think they are worth £500. I will wait until next week before deciding where and when to buy. They may announce something at NAB which might change my decision or result in the A1's price being lowered.
Jonathan Palfrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders