XH-A1 Manual Settings for Low Light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #1
New Boot

XH-A1 Manual Settings for Low Light

Can someone tell me what you would recommend setting the shutter and iris to in manual mode when filming indoors in low light? This will be in a Church with many candles. Am I better off using Auto? I have the custom preset PFVision and Wolfgang's presets for low light but I have no idea how slow the shutter could be set or what an acceptable iris setting would be that won't mess up the video with ghosting, etc. I tried Tv 30 and PFVision but had the candle stands swaying and it was a mess.
Don Kinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

hello Don it will all depend on the available light there are no set values.

Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #3
New Boot

Are there limits? Like should you never go below 2.4? If yes, what other boundries should I not go past?
Old April 14th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #4
New Boot

To prevent ghosting should I keep the shutter at 1/60 in manual mode rather than going down to 1/15?
Old April 14th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Trustee

Your available light sources will effect your choices, but I shoot outside in very limited artificial light and don't do anything special except for raising the gain to +6. Anything higher than that and it gets too grainy. I shoot in TV mode (auto iris) without issues.

This year I'm going to try the low light preset, but I haven't yet.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:20 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I prefer manual. You don't want AGC ruining the shot and the focus hunting badly etc.
For 60i the shutter should be at 1/60th. If the light gets too low go to 1/30th but not slower. Open the iris all the way to 1.6, but if you zoom in, the iris closes to 3.4. So, if you plan too zoom, it's better to set the aperture to 3.4.
Set the gain switch to something like -3db/+3db/+6db or if you want to feel save, -3db/+6db/+12db. With +12db it gets grainy, but sometimes you have too.

So, iris open, 1/60th, if you don't have enough light, +6db, still not enough light shutter to 1/30th, still not enough light +12db.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks for the replies and advice - sincerely appreciated!
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:58 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I use 1/25th (50i PAL) a lot and it doesn't affect the footage. The only effect I've noticed is that it reduces the choices for grabbing a frame from the video as more of the frames contain some movement.

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd
Ian Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders