My A1 just shared a movie set with an EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 18th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #1
Major Player

My A1 just shared a movie set with an EX3

A friend was shooting a short on a set, and its the first time I've had my A1 in a high-end lighting environment. I was shooting behind the scenes footage while the EX3 was main stage. I was shooting side by side on a number of occasions, and I hope I can get some of their footage to compare.

The A1 was jealous of the EX's screen; very large, nice, and crisp. I think I could focus with that! The picture looked really good as well on the monitor. Perhaps it was just the way it was set up, but the DOF looked much deeper than my A1 with a WA. The whole room was in focus on the EX, my A1 seemed much shallower.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Wrangler

[QUOTE=Roger Shealy;1109598 Perhaps it was just the way it was set up, but the DOF looked much deeper than my A1 with a WA. The whole room was in focus on the EX, my A1 seemed much shallower.[/QUOTE]

EX1 has 1/2" chips, the A1 has 1/3" chips...under similar circumstances the EX1 should deliver shallower depth of field every time. If for some reason the EX1 was significantly stopped down while the A1 was wide open (exteriors with different levels of ND applied, for instance), it might be possible to reverse this. It's generally hard to get either camera to appear shallow if you are at the wide end of the zoom, unless you are using the macro function for instance.
Old April 19th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, I know the chips are bigger, which confused me a bit. I didn't do any careful comparisons, I was just next to him on several occasions and it looked like my focus was much more critical than his. I was using a WA adapter (WD-72), which may have an effect. With the WA I have to zoom much further in to get same frame.

Very nice camera and the image looked great through the monitor.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #4
Trustee

Don't forget to see "Crank: High Voltage" in the theaters to see how the XH-A1 can look on the big screen.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
Don't forget to see "Crank: High Voltage" in the theaters to see how the XH-A1 can look on the big screen.

Wow! I didn't realise that was filmed on the A1!!!!

Will have to go and check it out i guess. :)
Ayesha Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #6
Major Player

I like the A1, but I don't see using it for a professional release. Hmmm.

Last edited by Roger Shealy; May 10th, 2009 at 02:02 PM.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders