Frame Rate Question and final output to DVD. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 10th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #1
New Boot

Frame Rate Question and final output to DVD.

I just got an XHA1s and I’m using Adobe Premiere Elements 7 (Windows XP).

According to the user’s manual for the camera (page 420, Selecting the Frame Rate), it shows the modes the camera can be set to.

If I set the frame rate to 24F and NOT set the camera to down-convert, shouldn’t my final DVD disc be 24F? Or, does this process have more to do with the editing program I’m using?
David B. Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Trustee

Your dvd program will convert whatever you send it to mpeg-2. I'm not sure if 24F (which is 60I with pulldowns, which is above my pay grade to understand) would or would not convert properly. I'm sure a DVD expert will weigh in on this with better info.../Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #3
Major Player

David......

Hollywood films are made in 24FPS...That is the framerate of film.
This is the same framerates that get put onto DVD...So if you shoot 24FPS, then your DVD output will be good to go...

Here's the rub....

Your encoded video stream (.m2v file) needs to have a flag added to the stream. Whether it's done during encoding, during authouring, or run through a secondary app like Pulldown.exe...My original Adobe Encore authouring program, required me to run the pulldown flag to the stream before adding the asset.
This allows the DVD player to emulate an NTSC playback. The encoded stream has a flag that tells the player to play "Top field first, repeat first field"..

There's a misconception that DVD's are interlaced....Not true.
In fact, i have captured broadcast material, Inverse Telecined it, and re-encoded for DVD output as progressive frames...
Gorgeous pictures, that allow for 25% more bitrate to be added if necessary...

But be careful...DVD's created from Hollywood originals are filmed with expensive cameras, and controlled sets...Don't think you can tape little Johnny's baseball game, and expect to get gleaming results..24FPS need to be treated with respect, and understanding of some more advanced lighting and filming techniques..

Good luck!!!
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders