Presets: Quick question needing quick answer please! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 15th, 2009, 05:00 AM   #1
New Boot

Presets: Quick question needing quick answer please!

Hello,
I haven't been on the forum for a while. I joined when I was about to purchase my XH-A1 in Singapore a couple of years ago now and remember getting some good info from Richard Hunter (thanks!).
I am basically a stills photgrapher moving into the complicated realms of video in order to capture my passion for volcanoes in a better way, and I have spent the last year trying to better understand the XH-A1. I have taken a ton of footage, but so far edited very little (not enough hours in the day for me at the moment!).
I am about to start learning/using Custom Presets (probably should have started a long time ago, but as I said, I am a beginner!) for the first time, and it looks like another steep learning curve is beginning for me!

I am off Marlin fishing in the South Atlantic tomorrow and want to do as much testing of my abilities as possible before my next volcano expedition!

To my (stupid?) question...
Can Custom Presets only be used in Manual mode of operation? I am not expert enough yet to work fully manually, but I have this niggling doubt in my head that if I select the Preset I want to use, then switch the camera to automatic mode when I want to grab something quickly and can't prepare properly, that the selected Preset may not then work. From memory (I don't have the User Manual in front of me) the instructions talk me through the selection of Preset in Manual mode, but not much about what happens if I then change modes after selection.

Apologies if I have wasted your time with something that should be classed as 'basic knowledge'!

Regards, Colin.
Colin McCaffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Colin,

No question is 'stupid'

I believe The PRESETS work in all setting on the mode dial.
Although, now I'm thinking about, I'm not sure about the EASY mode (green square)
The PRESETS definitely work in the 'auto' (white square with 'A' inside) mode.

Good luck
Shawn Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCaffery View Post
Can Custom Presets only be used in Manual mode of operation?
No. I just looked at the Custom Preset section in the manual and it doesn't say anything about disabling them in Auto mode. I know from experience that you can use presets in Av and Tv modes. I have never actually shot in full auto mode so I don't have any first hand experience with it.

BTW: Download the PDF of the manual from the Canon site and put it on your laptop, smart phone or PDA. That's a great way to keep this valuable information with you when you need it.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks guys! I was really worried about posting this, imagining the members shaking their heads in disbelief at the question being asked!!

...and good tip about keeping the manual in pdf format on my handheld ...a great idea and one of those 'DUH!' moments in my life :)

And Shawn ...I'll be just around the corner from you tomorrow ...fishing offshore Angola, where I am currently living.

Last edited by Colin McCaffery; May 15th, 2009 at 07:11 AM. Reason: grammar!
Colin McCaffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCaffery View Post
I was really worried about posting this, imagining the members shaking their heads in disbelief at the question being asked!
That sort of thing doesn't happen here, and it's one of the reasons why this is the best site on the Web.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #6
Trustee

Hey Colin, good to hear from you again, hope the XH-A1 is going strong.

You mean you haven't edited any video yet (shaking head in disbelief)? :)

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #7
New Boot

LOL Richard, and nice to hear from you to! I hope Singapore continues to treat you well.

When I say I haven't really done any editing yet, I really mean I haven't explored the full wonders of the Sony Vegas software I invested in (again, bought in Singapore). Your friend Derek was a great help to me, although when he moved offices a while ago, it took me ages to find him again! To date I think I have only put some work to dvds using techniques I guess I could find in any basic Windows software, so I have to sit down and find the time to justify the equipment and tools that I now have.

I should be down your way again in a couple of months ...my favourite volcano has started to blow it's top again (Anak Krakatau in the Sunda Strait) so I need to get there!

Take care,

Colin.
Colin McCaffery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders