Multi-Mic Setup with XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Multi-Mic Setup with XH-A1

I have an audio setup that is probably not atypical. I wanted to run it by this group to see if you had done something similar, have not but think it might work, or you think its a really bad idea.

I have basically three XLR inputs that I need to get into the two XLR inputs on the side of the A1. I have a shotgun mic running into XLR-1 on the side of the camera. I also have an wireless mic system with two mics. For both to work, I also need to plug the two XLR inputs into the camera but only have XLR-2 left. The reason I'm doing it this way is to use lav-1 and lav-2 for the people in the video. I want to also use the shotgun as a backup, bascially, in case someone runs their arm or hand across the mic and I get bad audio from the lav system.

So, I was thinking of still putting the shotgun in XLR-1 on the side of the camera and putting a y-shaped XLR adapter that will take the two XLR inputs for the lav. As much as anything, I want to make sure running both XLR inputs into one XLR jack on the side of the camera won't short something out or do something else bad (before I plug it in). And I want to make sure that I won't get really bad audio as a result of having this kind of setup.

Has anyone done anything like this? Recommended? Or would you recommend using a field sound board? I'd rather avoid the sound board because I don't need an additional costs right now.

Thanks in advance.

dave
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi David...........

All been discussed before but in this audio forum, one example attached.

Use that Google search at the bottom of every screen, it works.

small audio mixer - Google Search

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Contributor

Best thing to do is rent a mixer for the shoot if you don't want to buy one. Make sure you get one that has mic output in addition to line, since the XH A1 only allows one or the other at the same time, not both.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders