30 Sec Winery Commercial at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 31st, 2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

30 Sec Winery Commercial

Here is a new commercial we are working on...let me know your thoughts!
Andrew Allsbury On ExposureRoom
Andrew Allsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

oh yea..password is creativewave
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Come on guys, input would be greatly appreciated
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM   #4
Major Player

I liked it. Simple yet effective. Were you using a 33mm adapter? nice shallow DOF
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Trustee

Looks good.
If I had to edit this I would have put a few more cuts in it just to speed up the pace.
The bowling was a bit long as with the people at the table.
The music has pace so I would have done an edit with that in mind to make the thing move a bit more.

Regards
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you guys for your input, and yes we used a Letus Extreme w/ a Nikon 50mm f1.4.
Do you think the text and illustrations should slowly be scaling up as well?
Thanks Again!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:00 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Good color and framing but I a little slow on the edit. I was also wishing for some slow dolly moves. Didn't care for the animations, they distracted me from the nice footage.
Thanks for sharing!
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Liked the colour and camera work.

My suggestions: add a shot showing the location in context (main buildings, vines in background, sign in foreground, people moving around, etc), change "Drink" to "Taste" (so it matches end logo), shorten second and third shots and get rid of zoom in third shot. If possible, redo 3rd shot with less glasses on table and someone behind the bar in background and two or three other customers as well.

That would be enough to get my attention and make me think it was an appealing place to visit.

Hope that helps.

Colin
Colin Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #9
Major Player

Looks beautiful Andrew!

I would KEEP the animated text and lose the cartoon graphics except for the very last one if that's their logo. I think the cartoons cheapin the professional video look that you expertly shot. If that last image is the company Logo, ya might try a crossdissolve with it going into the "Free Wine Tasting" instead of a tumble out.

Just my opinion, it looks great either way, nice job.
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

NICE, if a touch cheesy with the small graphics ...

I like the high-quality graphics and animation, though -- I certainly don't have those skills. But even at TV screen size, I think they'd work better larger and more eye-catching. When it is like that, the primary video subjects are still on screen and dominant over the messages being presented.

I'm a rookie and in a smaller market (Eureka, Calif.), but I'm curious to know what do you get paid for doing an ad like that and how long have you been in the video business?

What do you like to do besides ads? What pays the bills the most?

Thanks!

~ Shaun
Shaun Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Ok...so unfortunately this ad will probably never see the light of day as it currently sits (which may be a good thing!) This project was originally a much more conservative / traditional concept, but upon the first revision round the client decided they wanted something more "edgy" and graphic, but didn't want to re-shoot...so this was our attempt at that. That should explain the tempo issues some of you noticed. I believe we are probably going to be heading back in a more conservative direction and I will post that project as it develops.

Shaun -
I originally started in video production about 10 years ago in Los Angeles where I grew up. I started like a lot of us just having fun shooting skate/bmx videos and ended up handling a lot of sport and event video work. When I moved to Boise I went into advertising & marketing and away from video production, but just a couple years of working with some pretty awful local commercial production companies I decided it was time to go back. For me advertising, promo and web based videos have been extremely lucrative and fun, but I also know many wedding and event videographers that make a great living. I think the important question is not what makes the most money, but what do you want to shoot? Doing what you enjoy is the most important part of working in any creative field, otherwise your work will suffer and eventually you will probably burn out.
Just my 2 cents for what their worth, hope it helps.

O yea and an ad like this will usually net me anywhere from $650-$1,200 depending on the client, budget and complexity of the actual shoot.
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks Andrew. Dealing with clients ... I'm glad I don't have to do that with my current main job, newspaper photojournalism :)
That'll change as I start supplementing with wedding/event work but that's still not like creating an ad/? from scratch and that process.
Shaun Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Weddings...watch out for bride-zilla...there is nothing more irrational than a hormonal bride! :-)
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #14
Major Player

Looks great. I think the cartoon drawings were a little much...like it should either be live action, or the cartoons - instead of both, at least in this case. I do like the one at the end though. Also I do like the text. As other have said...pace is a little slow. Much better than my last commercial though : ). Over all I think it's successful, I'm sure the new one will come out even better.
thanks for sharing!

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders