? about A1 and low light - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:24 PM   #16
Major Player

Hi Noa,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Joel, does the PFVISION preset produce ghosting on moving objects?
No ghosting at all. The noise reduction is off.

GAM CINE1
CMX N
HDF L
Black S
Knee L
NR1 off
NR2 off
CGN 25
RGN 48
GGN 49
BGN 50
SHP 9
SET -9
COR 9

Though it doesn't really apply in this discussion I've noticed that 24f results in a much cleaner image, i.e. less noise and fewer artifacts, compared to 60i and 30p. I don't have anything other than my observations to back that up. I can't help but think its more efficiently using the bandwidth afforded by the codec because there are fewer frames.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:13 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks Joel, then I will give the preset a try. If it is effective I sure wished I'd used it last weekend during a candle lit only reception I had to film :)

About 25f (or 24f which is basically the same format) producing less noise I can only say that a test I did some time ago in a very dark area exporting frames from both 50i and 25f and I saw no difference at all. Both were equally noise rich, whatever setting I used. Also what I often read here that 25f is supposedly a bit more light sensitive then 50i is something that I could not see. 50i and 25f looked exactly the same to me in very low light conditions.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:35 AM   #18
Trustee

Hi Noa. Definitely you should give PFVision a try. It is great for indoor shots where the lighting is a bit subdued. e.g. where normally you would start to get a noisy, desaturated image, this preset gives very natural results.

Haven't tried it in candlelight though, looking forward to hear your assessment.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter View Post
Haven't tried it in candlelight though, looking forward to hear your assessment.Richard
I read the meassages in the link that was given in this topic about the preset and one of the users said that he had used the preset a couple of times at weddings but it had a negative effect on the automatic focussing ability of the camera. It appearantly also caused the image to appear "soft" and out of focus. Anyone more experience about this?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #20
New Boot

Increasing CORING up to 9 must produce softness in low light conditions. Try this preset.
Attached Files
File Type: cpf PRESET04.CPF (40 Bytes, 318 views)
Old June 5th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I read the meassages in the link that was given in this topic about the preset and one of the users said that he had used the preset a couple of times at weddings but it had a negative effect on the automatic focussing ability of the camera. It appearantly also caused the image to appear "soft" and out of focus. Anyone more experience about this?
Hi Noa. Automatic focussing is definitely affected by low light levels, but I didn't notice if this preset made it worse.

Have you tried it yet?

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #22
Major Player

Hi Artur,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur Smiech View Post
Increasing CORING up to 9 must produce softness in low light conditions.
The slight softening caused by increasing the coring is made up for with the higher sharpening level, at least to my eyes. The effect is an image that appears sharp but with less noise. I've looked at enlarged images shot with high coring with high sharpening and low coring with standard sharpening. I prefer the high COR/high SHP setting - the images appear sharp but lose the overly defined edges and the noise in the shadows is reduced.

"[COR] Coring [–9...+9]. Adjusts appearance and level of noise on darker areas.
• Increasing will lower the level of noise, but makes a softer picture.
• Decreasing will lead to more visible noise.
It is recommended to tune this option any time you are using gain.
Can be especially helpful, when shooting densely detailed objects in low light conditions. Also
helps to eliminate "stairstepping" that can appear along diagonal lines.:"
Old June 6th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #23
New Boot

Presets PFvision question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Hi Kevin

The important thing is to try the preset. Its made an incredible difference for me.

EventVideographer.com ~ XHA1 PRESETS

I shoot at 24fps / 1/24th / and 6db at the reception with two remote control low-wattage lights on 13' stands and get great results.

The only filter setting that will darken the image iis if you inadvertently have the neutral density filter switch on.
Hi . in your sample test of the PFvision preset - EventVideographer.com ~ XHA1 PRESETS
you show the PFvision preset and a sample of your settings- your setts looked better - what were they?
Thanks G
Graham Westfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #24
Major Player

Hi Graham,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Westfield View Post
Hi . in your sample test of the PFvision preset - EventVideographer.com ~ XHA1 PRESETS
you show the PFvision preset and a sample of your settings- your setts looked better - what were they?
Thanks G
My original preset was the popular TRUCOLOR. Keep in mind that those stills of the presets I posted were done with the camera set on manual so that there was no automatic adjustment to the iris or shutter speed when I changed the preset. With the pfvision preset I feel like I'm about a stop brighter than trucolor, but I didn't stop down for the example shots. I hope that makes sense - I'm just trying to explain why pfvision may look washed out. Its overexposed.
Old June 6th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #25
Major Player

here's a link of some candle light test footage I did a while back using PFVISION.

XHA1 PFVISION PRESET LOW LIGHT TEST on Vimeo

Settings are on the link.

hope this helps
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #26
New Boot

Lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Hi Kevin

The important thing is to try the preset. Its made an incredible difference for me.

EventVideographer.com ~ XHA1 PRESETS

I shoot at 24fps / 1/24th / and 6db at the reception with two remote control low-wattage lights on 13' stands and get great results.

The only filter setting that will darken the image iis if you inadvertently have the neutral density filter switch on.
Joel - I was curious about what lights you were using.

Thanks,
Fred
Fred LeFevre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #27
Major Player

Hi Fred,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred LeFevre View Post
Joel - I was curious about what lights you were using.
These:

The Wireless Wedding Reception Video Light - HOME
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders