**help** epic edit online, would love feedback/critiquing*** at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 5th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #1
New Boot

**help** epic edit online, would love feedback/critiquing***

So i just wrapped up my first online edit where i mix matched frame rates on the same time line. i have been filming and editing for just under a year right now so im still kinda a noobie but whatever. i think it turned out well, but i would love to hear some feedback from you some of you guys. you know, filming, lighting, angles, ect. i know that all you guys are really professional and really know your stuff any words of advice would be nice. thanks for taking the time to read this.

Keaton Newsom - Online Profile - June 2009 on Vimeo

Josh Glowicki
Josh Glowicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Looks good, some great material and shots to work with. The A1 really shines here, the camera work is of a high standard. The colours are so vibrant. The reaction shot at 2:45 is great.

My Editing Critique
For this kind of material, I think the edit is a little loose and would personally cut at least 10% of the time by cutting quicker to the action in each clip. You seem to hang onto the end of the clips far too long, the MTV generation is used to a high cut/action ratio, otherwise it can seem to drag.

It is very linear and therefore looks like a series of clips, rather than a action mix. Mixing some mini montages of similar tricks, or maybe chopping clips in parts and remixing occasionally would add some extra interest.

A great effort though, these are just some ideas for you.
Paul Hatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #3
New Boot

thank you for your helpful insight paul!! and now that i look at it, i think your completely right about cutting the clips a little sooner to keep the action going! thank you again for taking the time to watch the edit it is greatly appreciated.
Josh Glowicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Major Player

I also found it very entertaining and well photographed - nice use of the fisheye BTW. I would also claim that some of the shots lingered a little and could have been cut out sooner to maintain the action.

I have seen similar shoots where the editor has inserted very short cut-in's of people's faces/expressions and used odd angles & ultra close-ups of skaters and skates etc but it's all about what you want to achieve - we can all criticise (in a professional manner) other people's work - hell I do with most zillion dollar budget feature films!
Philip Younger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders