Max Memory Size for SD Card? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 30th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #1
New Boot

Max Memory Size for SD Card?

My 16 gig SD card isn't recognized by my camera. I'm trying to format it to solve any issues... but the "card operations" menu isn't even showing (I did switch to card function, so I'm not trying to find this option in the mini-DV mode).

What am I doing wrong?

Tony
Tony Busto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 07:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Tony,
Refer to the manual. It's in there, I just don't know it off the top of my head. I want to say it is 4 gig that has been tested with the camera. You may also want to try initializing the card and try again.
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:08 AM   #3
New Boot

Can't...

I can't even re-initialize the card because my cam won't (apparently) recognize it. Which was my original question... is there a limit to the size card the camera will tolerate?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:34 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Tony,

I think you should try a different card. A 16GB card is wasted in a Canon XH, since it can take only 2MP still images. Use a 1GB or 2GB card instead, and put the 16GB card in a camera that can actually leverage all of its capacity.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:03 AM   #5
Trustee

The biggest SD card is 2 GB. Anything larger falls under the category of SDHC which was developed to get us up and beyond the 2gb limit. The cards are physically the same size, but are not the same electrically inside. SDHC cards require an SDHC card slot. These slots are backwards compatible with original SD cards too....but SD slots are not compatible with SDHC cards.

Unless the A1 specifically has an SDHC logo on the box or near the card slot, this is likely what is behind this issue. I have seen it at my office where people get new SDHC cameras and then can't read the cards in their laptop with the SD card reader slot. Newer laptops and readers should alleviate this issue, along with newer cameras with SDHC slots instead of just SD.

If this is accurate you are going to be limited to 2gb with you A1.

Good Luck
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
Unless the A1 specifically has an SDHC logo on the box or near the card slot...
It does though. See attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Max Memory Size for SD Card?-img_5639.jpg  

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:05 AM   #7
Trustee

I just read the manual, and I did not see any limitation in SDHC card size.

I just tried an 8GB SDHC card in my camera, and it works fine. (If using an SD card, the limit is 2GB)

Two things to check:
1. The lock on the SDHC card has to be "OFF."
2. The card may have to be "initialized."

Also, the switch on the right side of the camera needs to be in the SDHC card position.

The manual also has a note that "Performance cannot be guaranteed for all memory cards" -- whatever that means in practice.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:17 PM   #8
Trustee

Didn't realize the A1 supported SDHC cards. Sorry....just out of curiosity is this the A1S?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM   #9
New Boot

Nope. My cam is the XH-A1. I can't even initialize the card bc the "card operations" option isn't available.

Yes, the switch is switched to "card" on the side. No, the card's protective switch is not "on."

My computer's card reader reads it fine. So it's prolly not a defective issue. Maybe my camera is??
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Busto View Post
Nope. My cam is the XH-A1. I can't even initialize the card bc the "card operations" option isn't available.

Yes, the switch is switched to "card" on the side. No, the card's protective switch is not "on."

My computer's card reader reads it fine. So it's prolly not a defective issue. Maybe my camera is??
Does the card that came with the camera work? Do you have a different and smaller card to try?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:28 PM   #11
New Boot

Yes, original 16mb card works. I believe my 2 gig card works, too. I guess I'll go back to that. Thx for all your input!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:31 PM   #12
Trustee

Apparently, the line in the manual that I quoted in another post applies to your situation....

"Performance cannot be guaranteed for all memory cards."
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:33 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Busto View Post
I believe my 2 gig card works, too. I guess I'll go back to that.
That really is your best option, because the capacity of a 16GB card is wasted on the Canon XH. There's just no point in using a card with that much memory; it has no advantage in the XH. Your 2GB card really is the most appropriate size to use. It will hold 1,400 still images at the largest size and best quality that the XH can produce. It'll take you a long time to fill up a 2GB card in the XH.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders