A1 settings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 12th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A1 settings?

Hi!

I had a quick question for you guys. I am shooting with a 5d mark2 and a xh a1. I have the a1 set to 1080 30f and I was just wondering what the best settings for my timeline in FCP6 would be. I'm having an awful time exporting and am thinking this may be my issue. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter. Should I be shooting with different setting in camera or does that sound ok? Any help would be great!

Just to add....I've been shooting with all of the same setting for my last couple of jobs and never had these problems.Thanks!

Ryan
Old August 13th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Your import settings (and your sequence settings) should match the settings used to capture the footage. If the footage you shot is 1080p/30p HDV, there's an HDV setting for 1080p footage recorded at 30 frames a second. Use that as your import setting and sequence setting.
Old August 13th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Ryan,

When you say you have problems exporting what exactly is happening? At the expense of larger file sizes your best option is to convert both the 5d and A1 footage to ProRes 422. (The ProRes 422 (LT) in FCS 3 looks great too.) You won't have to conform the timeline when exporting, which is a huge timesaver. Just set up a droplet in Compressor to transcode all your footage to ProRes and let it go overnight....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Morey View Post
Hi!

I had a quick question for you guys. I am shooting with a 5d mark2 and a xh a1. I have the a1 set to 1080 30f and I was just wondering what the best settings for my timeline in FCP6 would be. I'm having an awful time exporting and am thinking this may be my issue. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter. Should I be shooting with different setting in camera or does that sound ok? Any help would be great!

Just to add....I've been shooting with all of the same setting for my last couple of jobs and never had these problems.Thanks!

Ryan

Last edited by Joel Peregrine; August 13th, 2009 at 08:48 AM.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses guys!

Sean, The one problem I have with the timeline/sequence setting is that I don't see an option for HDV 1080p 30f. There is 1080p 24f and 25f but no option for the 30f .The are options for 1080p 30f but it's not HDV. That's why I wanted to ask you guys what to do.Thanks

Joel, When I was trying to export everything was just hanging and giving me general error messages. I finally managed to get a QT movie H.264 out but for some reason compressor won't convert it to an m2v for DVD. I thought this might of been do to my timeline settings. Everything has rendered properly and plays great inside FCP6 preview. It just doesn't want to export. The last try yielded an estimated export time of 11 hrs for a 51 minute video. That was when using quicktime conversion option. When I tried just exporting a quicktime movie it would only process the first couple of seconds of the video and then the audio would play with a black screen. I'm just stumped. Thanks

Ryan "the stumped noob"
Old August 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey Ryan,

Quote:
Sean, The one problem I have with the timeline/sequence setting is that I don't see an option for HDV 1080p 30f. There is 1080p 24f and 25f but no option for the 30f .The are options for 1080p 30f but it's not HDV. That's why I wanted to ask you guys what to do.Thanks
The A1's 30F is 30P. One way to determine what format your capture is is to drop it on a new sequence and when it asks if you want the new sequence to match your clip's settings see what the sequence setting are. If you want to edit in the native format of the A1 you would match the 5D to that in Compressor. Editing native HDV takes the least storage space but has drawbacks - it has to conform upon export. That is why I suggested starting with ProRes 422 - after rendering exporting a reference movie for Compressor is very fast.

Quote:
Joel, When I was trying to export everything was just hanging and giving me general error messages. I finally managed to get a QT movie H.264 out but for some reason compressor won't convert it to an m2v for DVD. I thought this might of been do to my timeline settings. Everything has rendered properly and plays great inside FCP6 preview. It just doesn't want to export. The last try yielded an estimated export time of 11 hrs for a 51 minute video. That was when using quicktime conversion option. When I tried just exporting a quicktime movie it would only process the first couple of seconds of the video and then the audio would play with a black screen. I'm just stumped. Thanks
Ryan "the stumped noob"
There may be a corrupt render file. Even though its a drag you may want to trash your renders create new ones, then export self-contained movie (current settings) and drag that to Compressor. And I'm sure you know this too - h264 is a delivery format. Best to export in the native editing format or ProRes.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Joel!

Could you tell me how to trash render files please. I have no idea how to do that.

Thanks again,
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey,

Quote:
Thanks Joel!

Could you tell me how to trash render files please. I have no idea how to do that.

Thanks again,
Tools > Render Manager. Just flip down the triangles of the project that is giving you problems, check the row for those renders in the Remove column, and click ok.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders