Black and white presets for XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 30th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #1
New Boot

Black and white presets for XH-A1

Hi all:

I'm about to shoot several pieces for a theater project; it'll be my first serious foray with my new XHA1s. My intention is to mimic several different silent movie looks for short pieces that appear in the play. I know I can achieve black and white cinema looks in post, but I'm interested in doing what I can in the camera, to deal with what will be limited editing time. Here's what I'm looking for:

An overexposed, "orthographic film" look similar to early Griffith or Keystone Cops shorts;

A high-contrast, "deep" black and white similar to big-budget silent films from the 20s (like the "house look" of Paramount or MGM in the late 20s)

A softer, more "diffused" black and white similar to Carl Dreyer's "Vampyr".

Anyone know any presets for Black and White that would fit the bill?

Thanks!

Roy
Royston Coppenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

IMO with a new A1s you'll be flat out staying on the shooting schedule. For the intended looks I'd spend much time as possible lighting your set pieces and shoot as much as you can. Try and relate that to the actual theatre stage lighting and whether they're going to take it to black during your showings. It all matters.

Then I'd make the time to adjust the video looks in post, even working all night if I had too.

Also for playback in a theatre I'd check the size of its screen in relation to the back row of the audience so they can 'get the picture' so to speak. When I was starting out I had some bad experiences with 'small details' on screen that the back rows missed altogether. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; August 30th, 2009 at 07:10 PM.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Royston,

Check out preset #11 in this link. Never used it.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...rary-copy.html
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM   #4
Major Player

I'd strongly suggest that you do not shoot in black & white....just turn the color off on your monitor. You can take the color out in post but if you shoot it that way and you change your mind, you are up a creek....Yes, work on the lighting for a more contrasty look but, as a client said to me 2 months after I suggested not to shoot B&W, "who knows how to color in town".......

Jim Martin
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've heard that you can get a good contrast for B&W by shooting though a red filter.

Never tried it before so i could be wrong. Something to look into maybe...

EDIT: Just did a search and found this...

Shooting in black and white

Point #6 is about filters...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders