Wondering if the presets are worth it - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #16
New Boot

Larry,

After a lot of experimentation I've come to use a customized version of VIVIDRGB (Disjecta) preset. So far it's been working for me. Here's an example:

Limo 1, LLC Promo, Time: 60 Seconds on Vimeo

Tony S.
Tony Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Tony
That's a well done video. The preset is close to what the default setting the Sony cameras use. More saturated and higher contrast than what my eyes perceive.
I like the look and usually go that direction in post.
Your preset didn't hide those great Canon brown tones in the bar.
Don Xaliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #18
New Boot

Don,

Thanks for the kind words. It's been more of trial an error thing until one day - pow! I've got several versions for different things. That's the cool thing about these presets you can "make" your XH-A1 to match pretty much anything - some say even a RED. Very little color grading in post since I've already shot the initial test shots to my liking. I also like the way the brown is represented in the bar shot.

Thanks again for watching.

Tony S.
Tony Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 03:34 AM   #19
Major Player

My tuppence-worth is that when shooting the whole feel of what one's doing is affected by what you see whilst doing it, so getting the image to look right at the time is important. Doesn't matter what you do in post - getting the right shots is everything. That's why the flexibility of the presets is so great on the XH-A1. Also, there's something about relying on huge amounts of CC in post that makes the whole process even more artificial and somehow 'false' than it inevitably is already. Just my opinion. It's one of those things that is really personal, though all this technical talk about needing a flat image to get the best result whilst processing in post seems to be missing the whole point to me and is over-exaggerated in importance.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Presets

If a videographer is careful, uses correct white balance, exposure etc there will not be "huge amounts of CC in post." If on the other hand you use a preset and find in post that it really isn't what you wanted......there's a lot more CC to deal with to get it back where you want it.

But to each his own. I just find presets to be something I don't like to use. If you are happy with your results using presets great. For me, they just don't give me what I want.
Phil Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #21
Major Player

ummm... isn't the XHA1 stock setting a 'preset'?
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #22
Major Player

That's a very interesting point Brian. Aren't all cameras working from some kind of preset no matter what 'mode' they are in? It's not like one can point a camera at something and expect that by using no presets we are getting anything like 'reality' (whatever that is).
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #23
Major Player

PRetty nice

Tony,
Very nice clip.
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders