Notice from Canon regarding XH Series handgrip (XH A1 / A1S / G1 / G1S) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 1st, 2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Notice from Canon regarding XH Series handgrip (XH A1 / A1S / G1 / G1S)

Although I'm sure its not the first of its kind this is the first preemptive announcement I've seen like this from a camera company. I think it says a lot about their commitment to their customers:

~~~~~~

Thank you for using Canon products.

We have discovered that if certain XH G1/XH A1 and XH G1S/XH A1S professional camcorders are repeatedly held by the grip belt for long periods of time during shooting, there is a possibility that the grip belt cover that attaches the grip belt may crack.

Therefore, to allow our customers to continue using our products with greater assurance, we will replace the grip belt cover of affected products described below with one that has enhanced strength. This service is a preventative measure and will be performed free of charge upon request.

We would like to offer our sincere apologies to users who have been inconvenienced by this issue. Canon will continue to strive to provide our customers with high quality products that can be used with confidence. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Phenomenon:
If the camcorders are repeatedly held by the grip belt for long periods of shooting, the grip belt base that fixes the grip belt may become cracked.

Affected Products:
XH G1/XH A1 and XH G1S/XH A1S Professional Camcorders

Camcorders with the following serial numbers are affected.
* The serial number is printed on the product label at the bottom of the camera.

Affected Units:
XH G1/XH A1: All units
XH G1S/XH A1S: ****** 0 ***** to ****** 1 *****
(Units whose seventh digit of the serial number is 0 or 1.)

However, please note that the XH G1S and XH A1S camcorders with the following conditions are not affected by this phenomenon.

1. If there is a black dot above the serial number on the product label of the camera.

2. If the seventh digit of the serial number is 2 or higher.

3. If the shape of the grip belt base is the same as shown in the following image of the countermeasured one.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Thread title changed to reflect entire XH line (not just the XH A1). Made it a sticky. Thanks Joel,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the "grip belt?" Are they referring to the handle on the top of the camera?
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron J. Yates View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the "grip belt?" Are they referring to the handle on the top of the camera?
From the instruction manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Notice from Canon regarding XH Series handgrip (XH A1 / A1S / G1 / G1S)-handgrip.jpg  
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:33 PM   #5
Trustee

Wow. I'd been tracking this issue for a while to see if it would become a bigger problem. Nice to know that Canon isn't playing a "wait and see if it turns into a big problem game".

Joel, was this posted on their website? Did it have any contact info for how to go about getting the replacement done?

Thanks a bunch. Now I won't have to be worrying about it when I'm out shooting with my XH A1.

-Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Major Player

That was sent to me as an email this morning. Here is the contact information that was at the bottom:

Contact Information for Inquiries:
Canon Customer Support Center
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight. ET,
Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 8 p.m., excluding holidays
Phone: 1-800-OK-CANON (toll free)
1-800-652-2666
TTD: 1-866-251-3752 (toll free)
E-mail: carecenter@cits.canon.com
For additional support options: Support - Canon USA Consumer Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Wow. I'd been tracking this issue for a while to see if it would become a bigger problem. Nice to know that Canon isn't playing a "wait and see if it turns into a big problem game".

Joel, was this posted on their website? Did it have any contact info for how to go about getting the replacement done?

Thanks a bunch. Now I won't have to be worrying about it when I'm out shooting with my XH A1.

-Garrett
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 04:48 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Grip Belt base recall!

I received an e-mail from Canon yesterday notifying me to bring my XH-A1 and certain models of A1s in for a fix. I have seen this defect commented on some time ago here in these forums. They claim that the front connector for the hand grip could crack from stress and they will replace it free of charge with a new one. it looks like the whole plastic side piece of the camera must be replaced. I am planning to bring it Jamesburg, NJ service center today or Monday.
Howard Churgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I also got this e-mail, I am glad they decided to fix the issue. I would hate for it to break on me at random or while my camera is hanging over a cliff....

Anyone know the turnaround time for the fix? October is fairly open for me, but I only have a small gap that I can send it out before I need it again.
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Major Player

This is good news.
Just send a email to Canon Nederland if they where planning to make the same offer.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Bens View Post
This is good news.
Just send a email to Canon Nederland if they where planning to make the same offer.
Hello Ann

Already an answer. Please report this on this forum,
Thanks
Wil
Wil Vermeesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #11
Major Player

As soon as i get an answer i will post.
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #12
Major Player

I got a reply and it seems Canon did not send a email to customers but make an announcement on the Internet.

Ondersteuning voor consumentenproducten

Sorry folks this one is in Dutch.
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Churgin View Post
I received an e-mail from Canon yesterday notifying me to bring my XH-A1 and certain models of A1s in for a fix. I have seen this defect commented on some time ago here in these forums. They claim that the front connector for the hand grip could crack from stress and they will replace it free of charge with a new one. it looks like the whole plastic side piece of the camera must be replaced. I am planning to bring it Jamesburg, NJ service center today or Monday.
I picked up the camera this morning. They replaced the side cover and the grip belt. Did a lens cleaning and overall camera check for good operation. Three day walk-in turnaround time.
Howard Churgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #14
Trustee

There's an announcement on the Canon UK website also:
Consumer Products Support
I found it with a search for XH-A1 but the article is titled "FAQ: The grip belt base may break off"

After giving info about the serial numbers affected and where to find yours it says:

Quote:
"Answer:

Support:

To ensure our products meet the best quality, the grip belt base has been strengthened. If you own one of these affected camcorders and want to have a modified grip belt base, you are offered to have this change free of charge.

Please contact one of our authorized repair facilities to have your grip belt base replaced.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:14 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I finally found info on this problem on the Canon Canada site, and their only comment was to call Customer Service (1-800-652-2666). Once I finally got through to them, the guy on the phone had no idea what I was talking about and tried to get confirmation of my serial number to make sure it was covered (ALL A1 units are included, and certain A1S units, I have an A1!) He then told me I had to visit another website to get info on how to send it to their repair place near Toronto. When I asked if there was anywhere in Calgary that could fix it, he said no, there was only the 1 location in Canada. Who knows how long that would take, or cost me to ship, and I am pretty busy, so I will not be getting mine replaced. I usually stick with a tripod anyway.
Kevin Currie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders