DO you guys know if i can Upgrade my Ntsc XH-A1 to PAL in Europe??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 9th, 2009, 03:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DO you guys know if i can Upgrade my Ntsc XH-A1 to PAL in Europe???

can i do that here in Europe?
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

From Canon USA:
"Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you. I am sorry to hear of any difficulties locating information regarding your XH A1S camcorder.

All Canon USA camcorders are designed to be viewed on the US standard NTSC TV system. However, the HD cameras do have a process to add PAL to them, there is a charge of approximately $500, when sent into the Canon Factory Service Center. They add a menu option and the switches on the side that control framerate work with the new PAL frame rates.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance with the Canon XH A1S."
Jarda Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Well i know that in Canon's Factory in New Jersey does the upgrade. but i'm away from there in Europe that's why i'm asking for alittle advice from somebody that has been through this !!!

I'm stuck i really need help with this one. ,
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #4
Major Player

i am living in a PAL country with an NTSC camera and thought about the mod, but $500???? ouch. if you have FCPS 2, compressor does a really nice job of converting NTSC video to PAL...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

To be honest, the upgrade price works with the kind of prices we pay normally in Europe.

Our cameras have for years been more expensive - ignoring $v£ fluctuations. In fact, I remember many times people bringing me in a camcorder they'd bought on holiday, ignorant of the fact it wasn't the UK tv system. They bought it because to us, when on holiday it really was cheap. Then it was even worse in the UK than in Europe because any camera with video input was considered by our Government to be a video RECORDER, and attracted a higher rate of duty! To get around this, many UK products had their line inputs removed as part of the UK spec!

$500 is a lot of money, but about the difference we'd expect, and for the work to be done, it's probably not too bad.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you guys for your input, but the point is if anybody know if i can upgrade it in Europe!.?

I'm working with multiple cameras this one is out of sync if i edit more than one System in one project.
Old October 11th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The upgrade is done in Europe, but I´m not sure exactly where. You could contact a service center directly through this link:

Consumer Products Support

For example, the company that services Video cameras for Belgium and Holland is:

Techrepair
Joulehof 1
4622 RG Bergen op Zoom
Nederland
Tel: +31(0)164-244222

E-mail: info@techrepair.nl & parts@techrepair.nl
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

i'll try calling them see what can they offer. i hope i caould get an English speaking operator.

Thanks
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders