Letus Alternative at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Letus Alternative

Hey there...

I really love the look the Letus lenses give, however they are a bit out of my price range. Can anyone suggest a less expensive alternative to Letus?

Thanks!
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Daniel,

I have a different DIY but I'd get one of these if I ever bought a 35mm adapter again:

Jag35.com - Affordable DIY DOF 35mm Adapter
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Nice one Joel! $99!

YouTube review of it here: YouTube - JAG35 DOF Adapter | Product Review

I think if I got one of these I would only use it for certain shots - extreme closeups mainly I think.
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Looks good...

I do almost all weddings and have a very documentary, run and gun style- always adjusting, always moving, going for new shots, constantly zooming in and out. Do you think a lens like this is good for me or should I just stick to the one the camera came with?
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #5
Trustee

Lumix GH1.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:41 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fessak View Post
Looks good...

I do almost all weddings and have a very documentary, run and gun style- always adjusting, always moving, going for new shots, constantly zooming in and out. Do you think a lens like this is good for me or should I just stick to the one the camera came with?
Hi Daniel. If you are constantly zooming in and out (hope this is for framing purposes ha ha) then you would miss the zoom range of the XH-A1 and would be forever having to change lenses. Probably you would be better off with the built-in lens most of the time, and just fitting the adapter when you want some romantic shots with shallow DOF.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Catch is with that $99 price is that it is for at most a 43mm lens. XH-A1's, as all of us know, are a 72mm... So, The cheapest they have for that size is the Jag35 Pro at a cost of $395... Still pricey, but hey, Compare that to a new Letus or Red Rock... Hand down good deal... So what if you have to flip the video in post....

I hope to get one once I hear more reviews on it!
Old October 23rd, 2009, 02:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Scott

Sorry to sound stupid - can you explain what you mean by flipping the video in post after using one of the lenses?

Oh I think I understand - the image is upside down?

Peter
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

From my under standing, being I don't own one yet, Is that when you get the image from the Jag35 or any other DOF adaptor, it is flipped due to the lens construction.

For example, Take a lens you may have from your camera, Now hold it up and look through it. Everything is upside down, This would get transferred to the camera, thus, you would need to flip it in post to make it right side up again.

It all has to do with lens construction. Now, The Letus and others, use a series or prisms to flip the image, That's what that big offsetting box is on the Letus. That eliminates the need to flip in post...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders