Snowboard trip... Shopping list needed! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 21st, 2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Snowboard trip... Shopping list needed!

So a few friends and I are planning a trip up to a snowboard resort in Duluth and I need a shopping list of stuff to get... Here are my issues...

I worry about my camera being out in the snow, I had it out last year with out much issue, but... When I had my D40 out taking pictures, I got a face full of snow from a boarder, What can I do to protect my camera better?

I need a Wide angle lens, and I know that there is a post here about it, I barely skimmed that. I need one that is well... Throw away, I want something cheaper so that if it gets hit, i don't have to worry about a $300 loss... Are the $50 any good? Anyone have an example of one?

My whole price range for both things is about $150-200. I already have obvious stuff like lens wipes and DV tapes... But what else would I need for snow and cold?
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Scott. Have you considered a rain cover to protect your camera from the snow?

I believe the Kata CRC-14 fits the Canon XHA1. Should be able to pick one up for under $100. It wont protect the lens so much but if you're getting a cheap wide angle adapter that might protect it enough.

I don't know much about lens adapters so I can't help you out there.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The cheap wide angles are usually good enough, as long as you don't want to zoom in - the poor glass soon reveals itself. I have a couple of the cheap ebay purchased ones that at near wide on the camera are good enough for my purposes. If you don't mind looking a little silly, then clingfilm will keep snow splashes off, but let you still prod buttons, and when you rip it, you just do it again. The lenses I have seem not too bad in their physical construction, and no moisture got inside, despite being snow buried a few times. One gadget I do take, and it fits the luggage, but worries the x-ray people is a sticky pod - the smaller triangular one. You can stick it in side your clothes with the arm coming out forwards, zip up and then get forward, side and up/down shots without losing your arms. I ski, not board, so it takes a little more practice to keep it where you want it. short turn fall line skiing works really well, while normal long parallels with carved turns sometimes mean the subject vanished out of frame. With a board, I'd think you could even mount it on the board itself too - not tried that one. You can use it as a small tripod, just slapping it down on the snow. A damn handy gadget.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Aaron, I considered the Kata, But not sure about the construction of it... Is it any good? Is it tough?

Paul, Do you get any vignette from the adapters? if so how much do you have to zoom to get rid of it? Also, What "size" are they? (x0.43, x0.7, Ect...)
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Any one got an answer to either of the questions above?
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
Aaron, I considered the Kata, But not sure about the construction of it... Is it any good? Is it tough?

Paul, Do you get any vignette from the adapters? if so how much do you have to zoom to get rid of it? Also, What "size" are they? (x0.43, x0.7, Ect...)
i have a kata rain cover and it works very well in the snow. they also make an insulated version that holds hand warmers. its more pricey, but pretty nice.
Joe Gaetani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #7
Major Player

I have a kata, but ever since I bought it it hasn't rained! I've tested it a couple of times and it seams reasonable but I reckon it will be a little frustrating accessing some of the buttons quickly and poor audio.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #8
Inner Circle

My comments relate to another camera, so the specifics are not perhaps as useful - I can't comment on exactly which one for the Canon - but vignetting is a problem on the widest setting - but a slight zoom, so it clears works fine - the one I'm using is .42X.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #9
Regular Crew

How bad is the color separating? Any sample videos per chance?
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

keep in mind that if you're the designated filmer, you're not moving around as much as the dudes pulling switch 9's over your head and so you're gonna freeze, dress warm.
extra batteries are necessary cause the cold kills them twice as fast.
and if you can't afford a protective case there are a few low budget options. i found someone who could sew, so i took an old winter jacket and had it cut and fitted to my cam. a second option is ghetto (and i know people that do this on a regular basis) bring an extra sweater or t-shirt and wrap the camera only if it starts snowing. don't worry too much about the cold weather and the camera, i know the manual says not to operate the camera below 0 degrees, but i've never had any problems and up here we often shoot anywhere from -5 to -40 C.

this might seem obvious, but make sure you've got some kind of filter on your cam(UV or otherwise), you never know whats going to land on your lens, snow, ice, etc... it doesnt take much to scratch a lens and at least this way the worst thing that could happen is you'll scratch the filter, not your actual lens!

for fisheyes, don't be too cheap cause what's the point in shooting HDV if your footage is blurry and looks terrible? i know your budget it low but you can find stuff used sometimes, i got my century fisheye off craigslist and i saw a fisheye on ebay for around 550$ USD that looks like a copy of the century so that might be another option.
Bryan Wilkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:06 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Why not buy a secondary camera? Like an HV20. It's an investment/cheap way to get your shots. Just an idea for ya.
Tony Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:13 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Scott, I've got the Porta-Brace, great in the rain it takes a few minutes to rig and keeps the cam warm. But that Kata mentioned gets a lot of good comment, not sure in the rain you could run your NTG-2 with it and a wide angle lens might not fit it.

In fact I wouldn't use one, the front filter would be a problem.

IMO an external 2 stop 72mm neutral density filter is essential in blanket snow together with the 2 XHA1 internals to get the exposure under control.

With custom presets PANALOOK2 works for me and I custom white balance every white scene with an Expodisc. That's so good, I'd hike home if I forgot it.

Also carry a small table tripod so I can sit the A1 just clear of the ground handy for quick stable shots.

K&M | Table Top Tripod Microphone Stand | 23110-500-01 | B&H

Yep take extra batteries they last far less in the cold, hope this helps ya :)

Cheers.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:52 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
I have the Kata CRC-15 (for my EX1) and I rate it fairly well. I haven't used it in heavy rain conditions but in a light drizzle it's perfect. For your sake I just ran it under a tap for a good minute or so and I don't think you'd have a problem with general use in the snow with it. If you're considering burying or lying your camera in the snow I'd be very cautious as the bottom seal is made of velco and I don't imagine them being so water tight. The material is thin and light but still reasonably strong and waterproof.

I can't really speak for the CRC-14 but these have been my experience with the Kata line. Hope this helps.

And sorry for the late reply.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:39 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I already have extra batteries, cause yeah, They will die...

Well, I am not too worried about the blurriness of it with the fisheye, it won't be used much and it will already be way distorted.

I will look into the ND filters, and I have my own makeshift Expo disc, Works well.

Any other ideas?
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM   #15
Major Player

Liner gloves. Or thin ones, cause it can get cold out when barehanded, and thick snowboarding gloves are too big & cumbersome.

Here's an old vid I did back in 2003. Wonder whatever happened to these guys, hard to believe it was that long ago. Pretty shoddy camerawork, but it was shot on a camcorder for the fun of it. Made the music myself, forget what program that was, [Sonic?]

YouTube - Snowboarding
David Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders