XH 1A transferring footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 26th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #1
New Boot

XH 1A transferring footage

Hi folks... I'm having a little trouble locating a thread about transferring tape from the XH 1A. Not wanting to use her for anything other than 'back up archiving' I would like to use the least expensive HD camcorder worth owning to transfer footage. Seems like the Vixia series was mentioned? (It's Monday... brain dead...ha,ha)

Also someone had a terrific thread about using a netbook and recording straight to that hard drive ...again using tape only as the archive back up.

Would someone please assist with links and/or info? All suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

DVInfo folks ROCK!!! Thanks ahead for help :-) God Bless, Roze
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

See http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl...rame-mode.html

Written for Canon XL H series but applies to XH as well.

Short answer: Canon VIXIA HV20, HV30 or HV40. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #3
Major Player

To record directly to a netbook, or any other computer, the machine needs to have a firewire input. I haven't seen one on a netbook yet, but many mid to high end laptops have it.
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #4
New Boot

Another question

Thanks Chris and Annie for quick response! :-) The next question is... Will be using as the occasional "b" camera but mostly using as a playback deck... is there any true difference on playback ability? Wondering if extra cost for higher end Vixia is worth it?

Footage will likely be used on some large screens for lectures, etc. at a local university and some high schools (I also teach NLE for younger folks interested in this as a career...teenagers ROCK at video/editing).

In a perfect world some of this may make it to PBS but that's down the road. For now just getting the feet wet and getting back into the groove of production. Sure feels GOOD... didn't realize how much I missed this! Thanks again for all the terrific help. I'm still trying to locate that thread about the netbook Annie. Will forward a link if it can be found. Very interesting the way the person had it rigged up. Made perfect sense. Have a good one!
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Major Player

The Canon HV-30 and HV-40 have HDMI out, which is great for showing on large HDTVs. I use an HV-30 as the deck for the tapes from my XH-A1. While I am capturing the tapes to the computer through the firewire port, I am viewing the footage full screen via the HDMI port on another wide screen lcd, instead of just in the capture window of the editing software. The HV-30 plays all the frame rates of the XH-A1. Other mini DV devices than canon will not play the tapes captured in 30 or 24 fps. They may not even play back the 60i HDV footage either.

The HV-30 is an excellent B cam for the A1.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #6
New Boot

Yaaaaahooooo!

THANKS Roger! That's exactly the info I needed. Now to find a good used one for the right $. Fortunately nothing is pressed on a deadline right now. REALLY appreciate the details. Hope all is well in Florida! God Bless, R
Old October 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #7
New Boot

Found it! Using Netbook as DTE...great info!

Here's the thread... enjoy :-)
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tapeless...tbook-dte.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders